Hens egg production is way down

Yes, its a medication. Some people claim that Diatomaceous Earth, herbs, or other natural products deworm chickens, but I could tell you that it did not work for me. Its a myth!

The list is from most important to least important.

1.) Liquid Corid (This is for the treatment of coccidiosis)
2.) Vetericyn, neosporin with NO pain killer, and or honey (Vetericyn and ORIGINAL neosporin are both for wound care. Vetericyn is more of an antibacterial spray. ORIGINAL neosporin is more of an antibacterial cream. Honey is optional here, it helps wound recover, but is not as great on large wounds, only for small scrapes, its also bad because it attracts flies).
3.) Valbezen, Safeguard, etc. (Safeguard and Valbezen are both chicken dewormers. They may say "for goats, sheep, cattle," but they are used for chickens off label).
4.) Vaseline/petroleum jelly (Treatment for scaly leg mites)
5.) Tweezers (for picking off maggots from a bird with flystrike).
6.) Monistat 7 (This is an anti fungal treatment for sour crop).
7.) Coconut oil (For cooking for chickens and for impacted crop).
8.) Dog crate and dog pads (This is for separating sick birds).
9.) Extra syringes (To give medications orally with).
10.) Rooster booster, save-a-chick electrolytes, etc. (Immune booster/supplement).
11.) Towels, blow dryer, scissors, etc. (For washing birds).
Thank you so much! This is very useful! I will work on gathering this materials to have on hand. I appreciate your help!

Thank you! How would I tell they are molting? Losing a lot of feathers?
You'll see the evidence of falling feathers everywhere, especially if they are confined in a run. Some chickens will drop enough to show bald spots, others will just lose a few at a time. If they are moulting be careful when you handle them, pin feathers can be painful for them and they can be kind of cranky in general.

Your birds shouldn't be doing an annual molt as they're under a year old. Shorter daylight hours are the most likely reason for slowed production.

Personally I would not deworm unless you have confirmed you have worms, as different worms may need different dewormers or dosages to properly treat it (otherwise you're just building up resistance to the dewormer used), plus many deworming regimens call for 10-14 days of egg withdrawal time (that means throwing away, not feeding them back to animals).

Your birds shouldn't be doing an annual molt as they're under a year old. Shorter daylight hours are the most likely reason for slowed production.

Personally I would not deworm unless you have confirmed you have worms, as different worms may need different dewormers or dosages to properly treat it (otherwise you're just building up resistance to the dewormer used), plus many deworming regimens call for 10-14 days of egg withdrawal time (that means throwing away, not feeding them back to animals).
Ditto All Dat^^^

all were born this spring. I've been consistently getting four to five eggs per day up until this week.
How long have they been laying?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1632308718025.png

Ditto All Dat^^^

How long have they been laying?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2842170
Thanks! They all starting laying at various time with first eggs in mid July and more consistent egg production by mid August. We were getting 4-5 eggs per day with six hens. I am in Idaho, so it's cooling down and we're losing daylight.

Thanks! They all starting laying at various time with first eggs in mid July and more consistent egg production by mid August. We were getting 4-5 eggs per day with six hens. I am in Idaho, so it's cooling down and we're losing daylight.
It's crap shoot whether pullets will continue laying thru winter or not.
IME, if they start laying around mid august or after they will keep on.
Can depend on breed and diet too.
Some pullets will stop laying and even have a partial molt their first fall/winter.

Back
Top Bottom