Hens Eye hardened shut

dreams2383

Hatching
Mar 4, 2024
I've been raising chickens for over a decade but I've never had this problem. A rooster got too rough with one of my 1 year old lavender hens. He pecked above her beak and it was bleeding a lot. I wiped it the best I could then added blue kote to it which worked. The problem is the hens whole face is now hardened. Even on the other side where I didn't put the blue kote. Both of her eyes are hardened shut. The next day I put a warm rag to get rid of the hardened blood. It didn't work. It's been 4 days and the skin is not loosening. It's hard as a rock. I've been putting vitamin e oil on it the last 2 days and still nothing. I don't know what do I do? I'm going to keep working on it.

Last edited:
I've been raising chickens for over a decade but I've never had this problem. A rooster got too rough with one of my 1 year old lavender hens. He pecked above her beak and it was bleeding a lot. I wiped it the best I could then added blue kote to it which worked. The problem is the hens whole face is now hardened. Even on the other side where I didn't put the blue kote. Both of her eyes are hardened shut. The next day I put a warm rag to get rid of the hardened blood. It didn't work. It's been 4 days and the skin is not loosening. It's hard as a rock. I've been putting vitamin e oil on it the last 2 days and still nothing. I don't know what do I do? I'm going to keep working on it.
Pictures?

Welcome to BYC. Pictures would really help. I would keep trying the warm wet compress, and a wash cloth is good. Hold her for awhile, and use the warm wet compress on each eye for about 10 minutes. Then open the eyelid with your fingers. Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin can be put into each eye after cleaning them twice a day.

Back
Top Bottom