Hens eye missing.....have question about long term solution

To tmfineg: I know this is a year later, but what ever happened to your one-eyed chick? Is she doing better? I ask, because I've been nursing my beautiful buff cochin because someone pecked her eyelid. I've had her in confinement, but at night she sleeps with her sister. This morning I find her with her eye missing. It's been pecked out.

I immediately cleaned the eye area and I didn't have any other ointment, so I used Neosporin around the eye area. I'll go down to TSC and look for Terramycin ointment.

I'm just wondering if I'll ever be able to put her back together with the others?
I have a one eyed bird. She lost the eye during a fox attack. She is with the flock, and has been since the attack over a year and a half ago. She gets around good, and doesn't have any problems, other than being blind in one eye.
Jack

Thank you for the reply. My girl seems totally unfazed.
She will remain in "the box" until the eye is completely healed, but she's eating, drinking and laying like nothing ever happened. The only thing I notice is she only eats from the back side of the feeder, the side with the good eye can see the crumbles.

I too have a cockerel that is blind in one eye and his only "predator" is the Postal Van.. poor Blindside has no idea where the "predator" is coming from..... luckily our postal guy knows that Blindside is partially disabled and compensates with his careful and cautious driving when he comes to the house.... now that is being considerate.....

I have a hen who is blind in one eye. The eye was different looking when she was a chick but I think she was able to see out of it somewhat. The last 2 years she has been totally blind in the eye. She seems to do well but I try to keep watch over her.

Was wondering how this worked out I have a girl who lost her eye about two weeks ago, we gave her ACV to drink to help but there's no vet here for chickens so it's either get better or get the chop. She seems happy but it's clearly infected as there's foul smelling goo in it. Is she done for?

It took a while for the eye wound to heal up, probably a month or so. I kept my hen in solitary so I could keep her clean, needed to dab the eye area with a clean, moist cloth 2 or 3 times a day to keep the goo from building up too much. Usually mornings were the worst. I did not use oral antibiotics, but because her eyelid was also cut, I did use a little Neosporin on the eyelid. I know lots of folks will say NO, but that's what I did.

The wound looked monstrous for several weeks, but eventually a sort of scab formed then fell off. The eye is gone, the lid no longer works and stays down over. I've never looked inside to see how deep the opening is, but I do keep a close eye on her when she free ranges to make sure nothing gets stuck in there. Never has and she is a big fan of dust bathing.

That was 2 years ago and she's now 3 years old and laying regular and fairly close to the top of the pecking order. You would never know the eye is missing.

I wish you all the best with your girl.

Back
Top Bottom