Hens Face Turns Pale...then Back to Red?

Gracefulspice

Songster
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
Pa
My hens face seems to go pale sometimes. Waddles and Comb stay red, it's just around her eyes and ears that go Pale. What could cause this? It's pale while she resting, but it seems to be more often now. If she up moving around looking for bugs she back to red. You can even watch it change colors as you talk to her from Pale to Red. Could it be a start of Molt? Shes almost 1 yr. old. Still drinking, eating, laying, poop normal, nothing has changed in behaivor, no feed changes. (except she like to sneak a good taste of the grower food) I did start using DE about 1 week ago. I put it everywhere, next box, dust area, coop, food. I wouln't think it was that. Teps here are a weird this year. A day or 2 of 70's lows in the high 50's to 60's. Then back to the 90's and hot and humid.
I also noticed that 2 to 3 days after I added the DE to everyones food, than my younger hens (12 weeks) started pooping some redish pink, poop is normal other then that pinkish red area, texture and form are all ok. Could it be some type of internal pariste they pooped out because of the DE? Can the Pale Hen be tied into this?
Any one else have ideas?
I had thought Cocci bacteria. I did some research, no other symtoms fit her or my younger hens.

when the mucosal lining is irritated or inflamed it will slough off and this is most likely what you are seeing...same happens in the reproductive tract and sometimes the sloughed off bit is treated as if it were a yolk and you get a funny rubberry egg or very rarely what they call a "rooster egg" (so not a proper "egg" )

Last edited:
Sorry but what is the mucosal lining? Does that line the bowels as if to say?
And any ideas on the pale hen? I just went to look at her, she's in her nesting box laying an egg. She was Pale again. (almost like a gray) and I petted her and right away she turned red again. Should I try to get a picture?

I guess you were typing same time I was..lol The poop is in the 12 weekers, not my older hen, she's 12 months. I did have a rooster egg once but that was from another hen.

Last edited:
The heat will cause t his. IF she is laying normally and eating drinking and popping as usual, she is fine. Chickens use thier combs, wattles and other red parts as thermostats. The red in the poop could be anything. Mine poop red after they raid the tomatoes or get their watermelon treats. You can take a poop sample to the vet for a fecal float test to ease your mind.

I did give them some tomatoes about a week ago. I can't remember if I saw the poop the next day or a few days after
idunno.gif
I work for a vet office as a pet groomer. I will check to see if they can run a sample. They only do cats and dogs...no livestock. :| If not there's a local vet that does livestock and they have an avain vet there also. So I will take a sample to to someone. Thanks for the info on the Pale Hen. Everything is absolutley normal with her except the palenss. I was kinda worried about it tho. So I guess now I don't have to be.
bun.gif
Thanks Again
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom