hen's first egg today...weird...do i need to change feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bassfishrman, May 18, 2007.

1. bassfishrman

bassfishrman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2007
    one of my 6 hens i have been raising layed her first egg this am. i found it on the floor of the coop in the straw. It was paper thin. When i picked it up, it caved in all over.

Question: is this normal for a hen's first egg or do i need to add oyster shells to diet?

FYI: this hen eats the same layer crubles as my other hens and their eggs are hard as a rock. I feed them laying crumbles and they free range also.

2. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    Maybe she just needs extra calcium!?!? Is she younger than the other one you refer to??

3. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    First eggs are sometimes thin and/or small. Give her body some time to get used to the process. Also have some oyster shell available in case she needs some extra calcium.

4. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Sometimes the hens reproduction process hasn’t fully developed, this is also why you usually get double yolk eggs early then it ceases all together when the chicken fully matures.

5. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    all of my hen's first eggs were small ,or thin shelled

6. suburbanchick

suburbanchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Sorry, I don't have any advice for you, but I'm curious about how old your hen is now that she has laid her first egg?

What about everyone else?

7. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    Have a bowl or container available of oyster shell. Your feed store should carry it. A 50# bag will last forever!
    Gives them what they need for strong shells.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by