Hen's Foot Infected. Think It's Bumblefoot!!!

Chicky Crazy

Songster
6 Years
Feb 27, 2013
Today I realized my pullet has a bump growing out of the side of her toe and there is also a brown bump embedded in the bottom of her both of her feet. Can anyone tell if this is Bumblefoot?

Last edited:
It looks like the beginnings of bumblefoot to me. I would clean the foot with iodine and wrap it (to keep it clean) for a few days. Maybe it will clear up on its own. If you see that it is getting worse you may have to do "surgery." I had to do this for one of my hens last summer and although I was terrified, it went well and healed completely. This is the article I used to help me through the process. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/236649/bumblefoot-surgery-with-pics-and-how-to Just make sure to keep the wound clean (which can be hard to do in a chicken coop/run) until it is completely healed. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you. I'm wondering if I should buy chicken booties cuz I'm not sure wraps will stay on?

I haven't ever used chicken booties but my hen did peck at her wrapping all the time. I was lucky if they lasted a day or two. I got better at wrapping it after a few tries but it still was tricky to keep her foot clean.
idunno.gif

Can I wrap up her leg with the leg wraps they use for horses? I think that would be much more dirable.

I would soak it in Epsom salts & make a poultice of sugar & betadine - put that on the foot & place a gauze pad over the spot. Wrap with vet wrap, which sticks to itself and conforms to the shape of the foot. Leave that on for a couple of days to draw out the infections, or at least bring it to a core - then attempt the surgery if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom