hens for eggs....what the heck kind are they????

vagrantboy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
i got these girls from a fella who lives ear me.

not quite sure what kind they are.
(i didnt wanna ask, cause i was acting like i knew what i was doing)

all i know is that they lay eggs.

haha

what do ya'll think????
IMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

The white hen looks a little big for a white leghorn, looks more like a white rock to me. They look good! Congrats
big_smile.png

Oh, and the red ones look more like some type of Red or Golden Sexlink to me, I think New Hampshire Reds are more of a solid red, your hens look like they have white feathers to. Or maybe it is the way the sunlight is hitting them?

New Hampshires have green in the tail feathers similar to RIR's.

Looks like the red hens have white under feathers, they look like red sex links to me.

I would say Red-sexlink with the reddish hens, since they have white tailfeathers and from the looks of it also have white in the hackles(neck feather) and primaries(wingfeathers).

New Hamps should be an even red all over with black tail and a bit of black in the hackles/wings.

The white hen is too heavy to be a leghorn and does not sport the large comb and typical leghorn tail. She does look a lot like my 3 white hens I got last week which are white rocks.

The silver hen could be a cross, the light legs, lack of beard and single comb pretty much rule out EE, she doesn't even sport the EE head(which I have found to be a very dominant trait). If she weren't such a heavy girl I would say Silver phoenix, but they are much more streamlined with a longer tail...... what other, single combed, heavier breeds come in silver?...... my cold is completely making me draw a blank......

I am thinking some close-ups of the white one and the other (not red) would be VERY helpful. The red ones, I would say almost 100% red sex link. The white, I am gonna guess White Leghorn. I can't really see her comb (making me think it might be folded over a bit?) and she seems to hold herself like my leghorns. Doesn't look very big to me, kinda petite and just the angle making her look larger, and she appears to have very skinny little legs? I can't see her face very well though. I have a thing for White Leghorn faces and no others look so pretty to me. The other one doesn't look silver to me at all??? She isn't an EE though with that big single comb. But, she looks brown on my computer?

Whatever they are, they are pretty girls. If you can get some close-ups I am sure you will get a more positive breed ID.

Edit to say, I am throwing in a guess of Partridge Rock on dark mystery hen.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom