Hens have completely stopped laying

I Don't have a coop & have had a decrease in eggs for the last few weeks. Just back to adding D Earth to the feed. Setting hen had 6 chicks, sold 4, have 2 left + 3 from TSC, 3 weeks apart. I have egg customers so need to get this settled.
I had the Older TSC chicks in an enclosure, they roost there @ night. It's not big enough for more than 4-5 Especially since all are used to free ranging. 20 acres which they typically only venture to 5, Maybe... I figured since I spoil them with raw eggs, 2x a month, bread, hardboiled eggs, Sunflower seeds, I was over treating them.....Only had 2 days above 90 but more rain then usual. 15 girls, 3 roosters. 2 of the Roos I need to get rid of but they deem to keep a couple hens happy. Six laying boxes they vary between altho the box the hen was setting hasn't been used again.

I Don't have a coop & have had a decrease in eggs for the last few weeks. Just back to adding D Earth to the feed. Setting hen had 6 chicks, sold 4, have 2 left + 3 from TSC, 3 weeks apart. I have egg customers so need to get this settled.
I had the Older TSC chicks in an enclosure, they roost there @ night. It's not big enough for more than 4-5 Especially since all are used to free ranging. 20 acres which they typically only venture to 5, Maybe... I figured since I spoil them with raw eggs, 2x a month, bread, hardboiled eggs, Sunflower seeds, I was over treating them.....Only had 2 days above 90 but more rain then usual. 15 girls, 3 roosters. 2 of the Roos I need to get rid of but they deem to keep a couple hens happy. Six laying boxes they vary between altho the box the hen was setting hasn't been used again.

Too many treats can cause them to stop laying.

Raw eggs? You shouldn’t feed chickens raw eggs or it can entice them to eat their own eggs.

Have they gone back to laying?

Yes, out of 15 hens have about 7 eggs today.
Yes, I've heard Breaking eggs on the ground for them (& the dog) to eat, entices them, but only had that happen once, twice, in 8yrs?
As STATED: 'I figured ....... I was over treating them.' :th
That time of the month, not much TO Give them in Treats. :gig
Still, out of 15 hens, 7-8 eggs? 4 were bought as adults, maybe near retirement...And One hen is a Mother... Still, short at least a couple of eggs, girls Mooching Room & Board?

I was getting 15 eggs a day from 21 hens.... Now I'm lucky to get 4-5. I assumed it was because of the heat. Temps have been in the upper 80s with heat index around 100. The girls often free range in the evenings right before dusk but the rest of the day they are hiding in the shade trying to keep cool.

I posted a similar post!!!! Its the heat even if its just 80 it may take time adjusting... I wdnt almost 2 weeks with no eggs and they are lahing again..finally.. Be patient...I also started giving mine old bread soaked in water...

I've been mixing Cracked corn, layer feed, a BETTER scratch (than TSC could even Dream of) Sunflower seeds, with a bit of D Earth. I pour water nearly to the top, set 2 48oz containers outside. I don't have a coop.
After I dump them. It's gone pretty quick. Supposed to be 88 today. We don't have much Humidity here though.

Back
Top Bottom