Hens have learned which of us gives treats

krisirose

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2015
Glen Burnie, MD
I love my hens, and it's been a blast having them in my backyard. We kept them in the coop (with a run) for a few months, mostly because I was afraid of what my dogs would do, and what my many neighbor dogs would do. Unfortunately, one morning, I let my dogs out, started coffee, and then got my shoes on to let the chickens out into the run. What do I see in my backyard? Red-Star (I call the chickens their breed... it works for us) is standing on one of my dogs as she lies there. So, apparently, my dogs don't care. After talking with my neighbors to ensure their dogs haven't been able to jump the fence so far, I decided to let them be "free-range".

They are so happy! It's been great! The best part? When I come outside and make my imitation chicken noises, they come sprinting. Does anybody else get this? My chickens aren't exactly socialized, so this is a huge step for us, that they willingly run towards me. Red-star and Austrolorpe will even eat out of my hands now. I know this forum tends to have negative chicken behaviors, so I thought I'd share my positive one!

Same. Chickens can learn easily who gives them treats if the same person does it every time on a regular basis. Ours know what time to go in, an hour or so after noon. Why so early? When we all leave at 3 we can't keep them out because of coyotes. But yah when I get ready they all kinda walk in once they see a few hens going in with me. It's really cool

This site doesn't have that much bad. But most people only ask questions and a whole thread about the problems not the good. The good is mentioned in it though. I learned a lot rather quickly here. And yes my chickens run to me about half the time hoping I do have a treat. I enjoy it and it helps me relax. As chicks up to free range age. I sat and had my coffee with them on my days off and had a beer with them after work.

This site doesn't have that much bad. But most people only ask questions and a whole thread about the problems not the good. The good is mentioned in it though. I learned a lot rather quickly here. And yes my chickens run to me about half the time hoping I do have a treat. I enjoy it and it helps me relax. As chicks up to free range age. I sat and had my coffee with them on my days off and had a beer with them after work.
I didn't mean that it was bad stuff on this sight! I hope it didn't sound that way. I meant that I read a lot from people who are having an issue/question and want to know the answer, instead of just a "happy thought". I don't get a lot of those, so I like to spread the happy when I can. I'm sure that everybody else can have at least 1 happy moment every day!

I wasn't able to raise these specific hens from chick-hood, but they've adapted really well. We have a firepit in the back, that we like to light in the evening, and I swear that Red-Star almost touched me. Until we reach that point, I hope they continue to sprint towards me when I come outside. Even if they stop 2 feet from me.

Good to have a bright point in a day. I always tell people I'm DELIGHTFUL when asked. I started it when I got tired of hearing about every1 complain when I knew/know they are in a much better situation than I. Listening to that neg made me want to throw out a pos to every1 else to counteract.

I wish my 1st batch this year wasn't coon food. I'd have a lot less bugs in the house. I just looked up and seen 2 mating. 3 ft from me. I went a got a fly swatter. Will fog tomorrow. They attract wasp.

Back
Top Bottom