Hens have missing feathers from rooster?

CrazyChickensEverwhere

Songster
8 Years
Apr 8, 2011
I thought my hens were plucking each others feathers, I looked up what it looks like when roosters leave mating marks on hens, and its similar. Should I get rid of him?

I got saddles for mine... bought them from a fellow BYCer, but there's plenty of threads on how to make them yourself. My hens are still bald a bit where the roo grabs their heads, but at least their backs are protected. I like my roo... if you don't like yours, get rid of him.

46869_imag0734.jpg

46869_imag0716.jpg

46869_imag0709.jpg

Thanks! I just bought one, for me to try it
smile.png
I do like my rooster.

It might be them picking each other but idk. I gave them a bomb full of goodies, like tuna, wet dog food, a touch of milk, noodles, whole grain cerel etc. Then I read somewhere that borem could be a problem so I put grass, leaves, tree branches, feed on the ground to sratch at.

I hope that helps the missing feather problem.

The feather mess that I see from my rooster is on their back and the top of their heads... Please note the really "bald" chicken in here is a naked neck if you're unfamiliar with the breed - they're SUPPOSED to look like that!

46869_imag0711.jpg

46869_imag0722.jpg

I don't have a good picture for bald on the top of their heads, but it's right where the roo hangs on with his beak.

If you've got balding elsewhere, it is probably not the rooster. Could be many things: feather picking, mites/lice, molting are the biggest that come to mind.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom