1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens have not started laying yet...should I worry?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Where The Wild Things Are, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Where The Wild Things Are

Where The Wild Things Are Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Utah
    I bought my first chicks in April, they were a few days old. I got Black Stars and Speckled Sussex. Then about 10 weeks later I picked up 3 Black Copper's (they were about 7 weeks old when I got them). My Black Star is laying (she is a machine) and 2 of Black Coppers are laying. But I have yet to see an egg from my Sussex or the smallest of the Coppers. Should I be concerned? It makes sense that they mature at diffrent rates, but I want to make sure there are no underlying problems. Honestly I don't care if they ever lay (I bought them as pets, and their sisters give me more eggs than I could ever eat) I just like to over analyze things

2. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    Give it a month or so when the days start getting longer again or try to give them 12 hours of light per day.

3. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    My specled sussex just now started squatting. No eggs yet but soon! She was born mid March.

4. Where The Wild Things Are

Where The Wild Things Are Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Utah
    Thank you very much for your replies. I just like to worry (then I have something to blame for the gray hair).

5. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    My speckled Sussex is behind in egg laying from the rest of the flock.

6. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    I think it's fine. I have 2 Barnevelders who still aren't laying at 31 weeks. Their combs and wattles are starting to grow and get some redness. Your birds are probably just late bloomers.

7. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Our June hatched blue copper just started laying, and her sister black copper may be close. But, the third black copper
    hen is far behind if her comb is any indication. I don't expect anything from her for at very least another month-- maybe 2!
    Oh, that means January or February, doesn't it? Then Spring!
    Time is flying, we must be having fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by