Hens haven't laid an egg in months

Have you changed their food or using cheap food? I went cheap and got the producer pride 16% tractor supply stuff. Almost all mine stopped laying. Put mine on 22% tucker milling show flock birds look great get 7 eggs a day from 8 hens.
Oh wait that's what I feed and my hens haven't laid in forever either😳. Except my 8 year old hen sneaks out with her boys to find snax and probably to lay an egg, but I can't find them 😁

My chickens haven't laid an egg since Sept/Oct. I have Bielefelder chickens, LOVE THEM! I have about 27 hens, 3 roosters note that 16 of the hens are 6 months old. I have one hen that gives me about 4-5 eggs a week recently.
My first thought was my rooster was killed in front of the hens I believe by a fox or hawk. I couldn't find him for a week but the hens knew where he was. Then my chickens started molting. I also switched their food to higher protein content, in the past that has aways worked. Not this time. I have do not want to give them extra light because I do want them to rest over the winter, but in the past they have never stopped completely.
At the same time I just finished building a 12x16' new coop with a beautiful new 12x19' run. They do love the new dwelling and now most of the flock won't leave the run. These chickens have 10 acres to free range, they only use 1 acre. But now they are afraid to leave the run and the doors open. I see no predators for what that's worth. Any suggestions?

My chickens haven't laid an egg since Sept/Oct. I have Bielefelder chickens, LOVE THEM! I have about 27 hens, 3 roosters note that 16 of the hens are 6 months old. I have one hen that gives me about 4-5 eggs a week recently.
My first thought was my rooster was killed in front of the hens I believe by a fox or hawk. I couldn't find him for a week but the hens knew where he was. Then my chickens started molting. I also switched their food to higher protein content, in the past that has aways worked. Not this time. I have do not want to give them extra light because I do want them to rest over the winter, but in the past they have never stopped completely.
At the same time I just finished building a 12x16' new coop with a beautiful new 12x19' run. They do love the new dwelling and now most of the flock won't leave the run. These chickens have 10 acres to free range, they only use 1 acre. But now they are afraid to leave the run and the doors open. I see no predators for what that's worth. Any suggestions?
What do you feed? Also I wonder if some of the hens have gotten old?

I've been feeding a 20% layer pellet feed from IFA Country store. Plus I have food scraps that they can have and lately some corn scratch. My 14 hens are 3 years old and my 15 hens are 6 months old. Last year my hens laid thru out the winter but slower. This year only one hen has laid. I'm still wondering if my chickens were traumatized from losing their rooster, but how long does that take to recover?

It's not unusual for 3-yo hens to go off lay, they may be about at the end of their productive years, and ... have your 6-month olds started yet?
6 month olds not laying yet. I'm hopeful. The other issue after reading many threads is that I might have to many roosters. 3 roosters to 29 hens. I found 2 of the roosters a new home so very soon I will have only one rooster. I wanted more roosters because they are hard to get in my area in Colorado. I wanted to keep pure Bielefelder chickens. I love the way they free range and care of the hens. Thank you for the information. Much appreciated.

6 month olds not laying yet. I'm hopeful. The other issue after reading many threads is that I might have to many roosters. 3 roosters to 29 hens. I found 2 of the roosters a new home so very soon I will have only one rooster. I wanted more roosters because they are hard to get in my area in Colorado. I wanted to keep pure Bielefelder chickens. I love the way they free range and care of the hens. Thank you for the information. Much appreciated.
A general rule of thumb I've read around here is one rooster for every ten hens, so what you have sounds about right. But of course it depends how they are getting along and treating the hens. I suspect that this recommended ratio has to do with optimum fertilization rates. Truth is, even with these ratios, a few hens can end up being overbred while others may not get bred at all. You just have to observe your flock dynamics and manage for peace in the flock. Bielefelders are gorgeous! But the presence of the roosters should not keep the hens from ovulating, I wouldn't think. I suspect you'll start getting eggs once the days lengthen and your pullets get a little older.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom