Hens haven't laid an egg in months

Mar 5, 2021
Howdy folks. We have 4 hens, 3 are barred rocks and 1 mixed breed. All were very good layers (about 5 eggs a week each) until around May of this year. They all four quit laying about the same time that they went through a medium molt. We made sure that their food had a good protein content, plenty of fresh water, and plenty of on-demand oyster shell. We endured the summer feeling surely that their production would eventually increase.

However, now that the scoarching hot summer heat is gone, and the molting is no longer visible, they still have not resumed laying. We're only getting 1 egg a day, and that is from a new pullet that my wife's friend gave her. None of our previous 4 hens has laid an egg since June.

Their coop and run are kept meticulously clean, and there has never been any sign of mites or other pests.

The four older hens are just about to turn 3 years old. Have they met the end of their productivity cycle? Our previous barred rocks all laid consistently until about age 4, where they slowed but didn't completely stop. Is it possible that this group is just genetically inferior? They were all bought as week-old chicks from Rural King if that is any factor.

Thanks for your input,
Ken

Howdy folks. We have 4 hens, 3 are barred rocks and 1 mixed breed. All were very good layers (about 5 eggs a week each) until around May of this year. They all four quit laying about the same time that they went through a medium molt. We made sure that their food had a good protein content, plenty of fresh water, and plenty of on-demand oyster shell. We endured the summer feeling surely that their production would eventually increase.

However, now that the scoarching hot summer heat is gone, and the molting is no longer visible, they still have not resumed laying. We're only getting 1 egg a day, and that is from a new pullet that my wife's friend gave her. None of our previous 4 hens has laid an egg since June.

Their coop and run are kept meticulously clean, and there has never been any sign of mites or other pests.

The four older hens are just about to turn 3 years old. Have they met the end of their productivity cycle? Our previous barred rocks all laid consistently until about age 4, where they slowed but didn't completely stop. Is it possible that this group is just genetically inferior? They were all bought as week-old chicks from Rural King if that is any factor.

Thanks for your input,
Ken
No, most chicken breeds don't stop laying until around 8 years old, 3 is way too young. It could be an infection of some kind, but I wouldn't know much.

you should still get 2-3 per hen per week if they’re laying at that age. I’d say add a light so they get a total of 14+ hours a day and then wait a month. You should get eggs. This is unless their sick ofc, I’m presuming these are healthy hens.

I suppose that could be possible, but I've never seen any signs of a snake.
You usually don't. I didn't, until I caught the rascal in the act. Check your hens' vents to see if they're laying. If they are, their vents will be pink, soft and moist. If not, they will be dry, tight and yellowish. If they look like they are "in lay," you might consider a game camera to see what's going on.

Back
Top Bottom