No eggs for months

Hunterschicks

In the Brooder
May 17, 2021
I have 27 hens, that haven’t laid an egg since mid December. They range from almost 4 years, this spring, three years, two years and some that will be a year old in May. They are Wyandotte, Rhode Island Red, barred rock, sapphire, gem, Americana, frizzle, white leghorn, and copper maran. The two copper Maran which will be a year old in May, hasn’t laid an egg yet.
They always have fresh water, they have plenty of feed, they free range some, their henhouse and run is secure, locked up every night, and nothing is in the henhouse. I don’t see any signs of molting… And don’t know if it’s just the time of year or what. I find it awfully strange that all twenty seven of them hasn’t laid an egg since mid December. I have never had this happen before. Any thoughts?

First year pullets generally lay through their first winter, but it is not at all unusual that your older birds are taking a break in their laying cycle. Now that day light period is increasing your hens should start laying. They are at the age where production is very likely going to lessen.

Back
Top Bottom