White leghorn not laying

We were out of town a couple weeks ago and came back to the coop full of her feathers. But that seems to have stopped and she doesn’t have bald spots or anything
Not all molting creates bald spots.. and even mini molts can stop/delay laying. Birds don't appear to read our books about what they "should" do. This could be one possibility and should be a consideration.. of course the feathers stop in the coop, but the new ones may still be growing.. or waiting for or still working with the daylight return to raise the hormones again. I agree, it's just a natural break or there may be a hidden nest. The later being super common as soon as good weather starts here..

Now my 6-7 yo white leghorn is laying again after a 3 years of not laying. The timing corresponds perfectly. I wonder...?
I saw your other thread.. I've had many hens go years without laying and then return to lay.. that's the joy of keeping pets into old age, she would have been culled far sooner if production were in question in that type of facility which also reduces the information available to us (and the medical community) on aging fowl. Genetics and reproduction are not as simple as some lentils. Just look at how wacked human menopause is. (if your're not there then you don't know yet, ROAR!) Gotta love the timing though and then the synchronicity of this thread.. to start you on a curiosity adventure!

Back
Top Bottom