White leghorn not laying

cp641

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2023
I have a white leghorn that is a year old, consistently laid about one egg a day, but hasn’t laid in about 3 weeks. We’re in New England, she laid pretty consistently in the winter and springtime weather is starting. We have four other hens that are laying normally. Her comb is a bit white at the end, she doesn’t show signs of mites. Plenty of protein available and plenty of free range time. Any insight? thanks!

It could just be that time of the year. Everyone I know in Ohio wasn't getting any eggs in February. Another post here suggested cooked lentils will give them the nutrients necessary to start laying again.
She might have an infection (salpingitis). Is her abdomen swollen? That is curable with antibiotics.

It could just be that time of the year. Everyone I know in Ohio wasn't getting any eggs in February. Another post here suggested cooked lentils will give them the nutrients necessary to start laying again.
She might have an infection (salpingitis). Is her abdomen swollen? That is curable with antibiotics.
Thanks for the lentil tip. She doesn’t look swollen, is acting normal. We were out of town a couple weeks ago and came back to the coop full of her feathers. But that seems to have stopped and she doesn’t have bald spots or anything

Thanks for the lentil tip. She doesn’t look swollen, is acting normal. We were out of town a couple weeks ago and came back to the coop full of her feathers. But that seems to have stopped and she doesn’t have bald spots or anything
She's a little young to be molting. Is it possible she was attacked, by a small rodent, and is stressed out?

Sometimes one of my gals just stops randomly🤷‍♀️. I give them cooked lentils and she starts back on track again. Its really wierd but maybe she just needs a boost.

plenty of free range time
She may be laying out in the range area.
Might be good to do an exam:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Then....
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Weird. I sprouted some green lentils and fermented some red lentils and fed them to my chickens. Now my 6-7 yo white leghorn is laying again after a 3 years of not laying. The timing corresponds perfectly. I wonder...?

Weird. I sprouted some green lentils and fermented some red lentils and fed them to my chickens. Now my 6-7 yo white leghorn is laying again after a 3 years of not laying. The timing corresponds perfectly. I wonder...?
There's no food that can make a chicken start laying, since laying is a product of hormone produced by the pituitary gland, which is activated by daylight length. Hormone therapy (I.e shots) is the only way influence you could have on laying.

Back
Top Bottom