Hens not laying for last 9 months

GMBfarm

Hatching
Apr 5, 2024
I bought 4 pullets in spring of 21. They all layed just fine for the first year. In winter 22, one of them molted and her feathers never grew back. Never laid another egg. In June of last year, I introduced new chicks including a Roo. 2 more of the hens immediately stopped laying and never restarted. One of them died from an infection in fall and the 4th hen that was laying got caught by a hawk. So, I assume the featherless hen has a health issue that impacted egg production. Maybe the infected hen too. But what about the one that never laid after last June that shows no signs of illnes? She is a Cream Legbar. They are all fed Layena pellets and fermented Scratch and Peck, and free range most days in the afternoons. Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Is it possible that Your hen has a secret nest hidden somewhere??? I have encountered such with some of my hens in the past.
A 3 year old CCL should not have retired from egg production. Then again,,, a chicken can have a health condition that is not easily seen.

What is your chicken count currently? You may need to replenish flock to have a supply of eggs.

The Layena pellets is sufficient complete feed. I'm not a fan of fermented feed, or such. Some peeps do choose it by their choice.

Maybe quit the fermented portion, and just feed Dry scratch. (in small amounts) Larger quantities of scratch do dilute the protein quantity in chickens' diet. Egg production needs protein.

What I'm suggesting,,, is experiment. Then see if there are improvements. Remember that the changes are not going to show up overnight.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Thanks for your reply!
I kept the girls in their 10x40 run for several months while we had a coyote issue… still no eggs so I don’t think there is a hidden nest. I did only start the fermented scratch in the last 4 months, so that doesn’t seem to be the variable either…but I will try adding some protein - it can’t hurt!
I currently have 6 hens and a roo, and 6 olive eggers that I just hatched out, so I’ll get some new layers coming soon. But to compound my frustration, two of my last years babies (spotted sussex) only lay bantam-sized eggs! So with my current flock I only get a total of about 9 full sized eggs a week!

Back
Top Bottom