Why are my 9-month-old hens not laying?!

Pics
Nov 6, 2023
I have 20 hens, 8 Buff Orpingtons, 5 Silver Laced Sussex, 2 Isa Browns, 4 Ameraucanas, and one mystery hen. They all are 9 months old. I have lights in the coop and a few months ago, one hen started laying. Then three days later we had a cold snap and she stopped laying. I have not got an egg from any of my hens since. I am feeding them Scratch and Peck layer feed which I ferment. I rotate through 3 containers and do a batch in each; they ferment 3 days before I feed them to the chickens. I thought they were not getting enough food (at the time I was feeding them 1/4 cup per bird a day) so, last month I upped their food a little. As they still didn't lay, I upped it even more a few days ago. Now I ferment 4 cups per batch which doubles to 8 cups (just under 1/2 cup per bird). Recently I started feeding half of it to them in the morning the rest in the evening. They always eat all available food at a feeding.

My 5 hens (two are three years old and three are one year old and only 4 are laying) go through ~2-3 cups of food a day. They do knock a lot out but they eat that still. I would suggest putting out a feeder that they can free feed from 24/7. I also would not feed them layer feed yet as none are laying and that extra calcium isn’t good as they can’t get it out of their system easily.

Don't they need a lot of calcium to lay?
They only need the calcium for the egg shells once they are starting to lay. A high amount of protein is actually what is needed to make the eggs. If you want you can get a 20% protein all flock feed and have a container of oyster shells where the pullets can regulate their own calcium intake. Too much calcium built up in their systems can cause issues too.

My 5 hens (two are three years old and three are one year old and only 4 are laying) go through ~2-3 cups of food a day. They do knock a lot out but they eat that still. I would suggest putting out a feeder that they can free feed from 24/7. I also would not feed them layer feed yet as none are laying and that extra calcium isn’t good as they can’t get it out of their system easily.
I did the math and when your birds eat 2 cups of feed, they get exactly what my birds do (per 5 hens). Would it work just to up my feeding amounts a little more to match up with the max your birds will eat.

They only need the calcium for the egg shells once they are starting to lay. A high amount of protein is actually what is needed to make the eggs. If you want you can get a 20% protein all flock feed and have a container of oyster shells where the pullets can regulate their own calcium intake. Too much calcium built up in their systems can cause issues too.
Something like this?
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/natures-best-organic-all-flock-crumbles-40-lb-4bm0290c

Free feeding is just SUPER expensive. I always thought fermented feed is healthier.
Do you free range? And do they have a lawn or pasture to forage and graze in? Fermented feed may be healthy, but by limiting their mealtimes to twice a day you may not be allowing them to eat whenever they need to.

Back
Top Bottom