Hens in trees

bjcoop

Songster
12 Years
Mar 22, 2007
Western New York
Hi! Need some advice or reassurance about our hens now wanting to roost in nearby trees.

We have 26 16 week old chick/hens that are now looking to the nearby trees to roost.

I have tried to encourage them to come into the coop at ngiht (where they are safe from predators and warm in the winter). Unfortunately they fly now fly higher into the trees. Aside from taking up tree climbing (lol), what more can I do.

I may have "ruffled some of their feathers" by moving them from their chickhood home into the big girl coop. (I moved momma hen and her 5 babies to the chick home.) We added higher roosts and more space for them to fly up to as well as food, water, a fan plus a small nightlight to help them after dark.

Each evening more hens are up in the trees. What are we doing wrong?

I knew somebody who had a couple of hens that did that also. He just left them out.

Maybe you just have to keep them locked up in the coop for a week or so. By then they will learn where their new home is. To get them in, try a trail of feed leading to the coop. Dan

This is the first time this has happened to me too! I actually had someone cut one of the trees that was hanging over the pen down. A bad winter storm and most likely it would have toppled so it was time to go anyway.
But this group of chicks that I got in May, it started with one Barred Rock and now there are many that are following. First time so I do not get it. All my others go in the coops.
idunno.gif

Update on hens in trees...

There are now 12 hens in trees! I turned the light on in the coop so they could see it well. I tried luring them in with treats... All the others crowd around to be treated, but not the high flyers.

After dark they talk to me (haha), but that's it. Hmmm. Since we probably don't want to cut down their nice maple tree, guess I will try keeping them all locked in...or clip their wings.
hmm.png
hmmm

Once I let everyone out to freerange I can't tell them apart. They include ss Hamburgs (led the charge to the trees), araucanas, and marans.

hu.gif

--bj

I still have a few rebles to who insist on going into the trees. It all started with a 10 week old Barred Rock. Some of her roomates followed which are RIR's. The majority of them go into the coops but this little band of criminals insist on the trees. I can't even see them because the trees in back of the pend & coops are covered with wild grape vines. I do hope come winter they smarten up.

I had four of my flock that wanted to roost in tree, I used an old large cloth type fishing net every night for a few days and got them out of tree.........and put them in coop....they went in after a few days of that fun !Every once in a while one still tries it.but I still have my net....

Our polish will get in the lower limbs if I don't get down to put them up when they are ready to roost but the limbs are low enough for me to get them down.

Last night one of our older bantams decided to roost high in the tree finally DH got her down but I don't know why she did that because she has always been good to just go into her pen when it's time. If she doesn't normally the roosters herd them in
smile.png
It's so fun to watch how those roosters take care of their girls.

jackie

Back
Top Bottom