Hens infested with bird lice, looking for best approach

mommabear212

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 3, 2013

We have been trying to "naturally" fight lice for a long time and have had no luck abolishing them. We have tried DE and organic virgin coconut oil mainly. I dont treat in the winter with ovco and this pic shows the worst off bird right now. I am considering sevin but given the fact that it is banned in many countries and I try to have no part in killing off the beneficial insect population, it is a hard choice to make.

My questions are:

what can I do for THIS bird RIGHT NOW to get these parasites off her?

And what can I do fo the flock to remedy the whole problem?

Thank you so much for any and all advice!

Heidi

I suggest you try Permethrin... it will act the same as Sevin dust...Permethrin comes in two forms..spray for the coop and nesting boxes and also "dust" which you can apply directly to the chickens...pay attention to under their wings and the vent area..

You will need to re-treat in 7 - 10 days...burn all of the bedding in the coop...whatever you use in their coop, avoid straw ...it can harbour mites

I agree with Suzie- the feed store sells poultry permethrin dust. I haven't dealt with lice, only mites, but make sure you retreat at 14 days too; since I have switched to sand in the coop and nestboxes I have had less mite issues. Just thought I would mention it.

Thank you both so much! I have never thought of sand in the nest boxes but it certainly makes sense. I will check my local feed store for permethrin dust on monday.

Back
Top Bottom