1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens infested with bird lice, looking for best approach

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mommabear212, Feb 1, 2015.

1. mommabear212

mommabear212 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2013
    [​IMG]

We have been trying to "naturally" fight lice for a long time and have had no luck abolishing them. We have tried DE and organic virgin coconut oil mainly. I dont treat in the winter with ovco and this pic shows the worst off bird right now. I am considering sevin but given the fact that it is banned in many countries and I try to have no part in killing off the beneficial insect population, it is a hard choice to make.

My questions are:

what can I do for THIS bird RIGHT NOW to get these parasites off her?

And what can I do fo the flock to remedy the whole problem?

Thank you so much for any and all advice!

Heidi

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I suggest you try Permethrin... it will act the same as Sevin dust...Permethrin comes in two forms..spray for the coop and nesting boxes and also "dust" which you can apply directly to the chickens...pay attention to under their wings and the vent area..

You will need to re-treat in 7 - 10 days...burn all of the bedding in the coop...whatever you use in their coop, avoid straw ...it can harbour mites

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I agree with Suzie- the feed store sells poultry permethrin dust. I haven't dealt with lice, only mites, but make sure you retreat at 14 days too; since I have switched to sand in the coop and nestboxes I have had less mite issues. Just thought I would mention it.

4. mommabear212

mommabear212 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2013
    Thank you both so much! I have never thought of sand in the nest boxes but it certainly makes sense. I will check my local feed store for permethrin dust on monday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by