Hens just stopped :/

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Egglayer123, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Egglayer123

Egglayer123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2012
    Ireland
    Ive have a few different hens along with roosters in my breeding pen! at first the rooster was doing its job (if you know what i mean) and the hen was laying away, now all of a sudden the hens have stopped laying altogether, can any1 tell me why this may be? i went and bought a great big incubator and now i cant even use the thing! any help atol will be greatly appreciated
    thanks

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Are you seeing a lot of feathers around? This is the time of year that chickens molt.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    There are different reasons hens may stop laying. This time of year in the northern hemisphere it is usually due to a molt. When the days get shorter the hen drops her feathers and grows new ones. She quits laying and uses the nutrients she was using to make eggs to make feathers instead.

Are you seeing more feathers than usual laying around?

4. Egglayer123

Egglayer123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2012
    Ireland
    Hmmm no not really, they dnt seem to be loosing their feathers?

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Any changes to their coop/run? Any deaths or new birds added?

6. Lynzi777

Lynzi777 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT
    I seem to be having the same problem with my two orpington hens. One stopped laying all together (no signs of molting) and I'm lucky if I get at least 3 eggs a week from the other. I haven't done anything different to the coop, they free range all day every day. Funny because when I started with chickens, I had silkies and orpingtons. I was told I wouldn't get as many eggs from the silkies because they are not good layers. I get two eggs a day from my two hens since they started laying. The orps laid all summer up until last month. I haven't been getting many at all from them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by