Hens lay fertile eggs without Rooster?

I have 10 18month old ISAs in a secure caged pen. No cockeral could get in, nor are they let out. Today found soft egg sac with a formed chicken inside head, wings and legs showing. I have put this in water for time being. ANy ieas about this - what it could be or what I should do with the 'remains' Derby Gardenhens

welcome-byc.gif
Take some pictures if you want and toss the remains out. Do you have any boys or do you have any neighbors that have any boys? All my fences are 5' tall and I have birds that go over the fences to get out and to get back in. I have some gates that are 6' high and they get on the gates too. Just a thought. I had seen some of my birds out and when I went to get them to put them back into their pens, I couldn't find them anywhere and I really expected to see feathers from a predator getting them, but no feathers. Finally one day when I saw them out I quickly went over to see if I could catch the ones that were loose and I caught them going back into the pen over the fence, so it's not impossible.

Hi derbygardenhens. welcome to BYC.
Such an odd thing for a first post. I have many questions about that. Are there any roosters at all she could have gotten with? If they range and some one else helps? Do you collect every day? How did it start to develop, was it very hot there or did she sit? Those out of the way . I believe it is something called a lash egg. That's where some bit of her internals breaks away and forms a tumor like growth. Then gets expelled sometimes with a casing added.

I find it true!! Almost all of mine have bullseyes and I have NO rooster!! I had to have 2 other people look to be sure I wasn't crazy!!! This was just today!!

I find it true!! Almost all of mine have bullseyes and I have NO rooster!! I had to have 2 other people look to be sure I wasn't crazy!!! This was just today!!

Of course there is no way the eggs can be fertile if there has been no male. Can you post a picture?

Last edited:
Of course there is no way the eggs can be fertile if there has been no male. Can you post a picture?

Well I'm not saying they are truly fertile or will hatch, but it looked fertile. Was a clear bullseye in 5 of 8 eggs. I'm sorry I didn't take a picture. I should have but didnt.

I have read that article but in the 50 years I have had chickens I have never seen it happen and I have had thousands of birds over the years. I don't believe it. This is the best way to explain it as I see it, for example if a person is gay their sex is still male or female regardless of their sexual preference. I will admit there are oddities in nature, extra body parts or missing body parts. A female chicken can take on an alpha role if there is no male and mock mate other females, but that is just showing dominance.

Last edited:
Quote:
Next time you see an egg that looks fertile, take a picture. It would be interesting to see what you are seeing and seeing is believing. Don't get me wrong I believe in what your saying that it may have the appearance of being fertile to you but as I said it would be interesting to see.

Back
Top Bottom