Hens laying again after a YEAR of NO EGGS!! Keep up Baytril?

Thank you!!!!

I've been planning to deworm again (I did a few months ago with Wazine), but had forgotten. I just now put out some ivermectin paste & will give them some.

The rooster had a very foamy poop a few days ago, & I've read that can sometimes be a sign of worms, so maybe deworming is something they need right now. I'll do it tomorrow.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2816174
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2267731

Dawg53 posted one of these earlier and I wish I could find the post...please note the A. galli vs. A. spp. in the two abstracts (and don't ask me the difference, LOL).
If the sneezing doesn't go away you might try valbazen as I think it is a better wormer (I worry about worm migration from lung causing the irritation as the megaantibiotic didn't solve the problem).

Last edited:
Update:
I dewormed with Ivermectin & I'm betting that helped them with overall healthiness. However, they were still sneezing.

You know what I've realized? I think the sneezing was the Coryza acting up.

Oxytetracycline helped with their Coryza before, so I did 3 days of .5 cc of Liquamycin LA-200, and have been putting Terramycin in distilled water for their drinking water a few days.

The roo & 1 hen seem to have pretty much quit sneezing & the other hen seems to only have a light sneeze. The hens shake their heads a little still, to clear a small amount of mucus that must still show up in their throats sometimes.

Something else I found that often can cause sneezing after another respiratory infection is Colibacillosis / Coli-septicaemia (E. coli infection).
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/39/colibacillosis-colisepticemia

Coli-septicaemia is the commonest infectious disease of farmed poultry. It is most commonly seen following upper respiratory disease (such as Infectious Bronchitis) or Mycoplasmosis... It is caused by the bacterium Escherichia coli and is seen worldwide in chickens, turkeys, etc.
Signs

• Respiratory signs, coughing, sneezing.
  • Snick.
  • Dejection.
  • Reduced appetite.
  • Poor growth.
I'm thinking my chickens don't have that, though.

However, they have a new problem--lots of white urates. Some (not tons) is sticking to their hind end feathers.I know antibiotics can sometimes cause diarrhea, but I don't know the exact mode, other than lots of good bacteria may have been wiped out.

I'm concerned that it may be Ulcerative Enteritis. I think that's what my roo had before, which cured with Penicillin.

However, I REALLY don't want their bodies to have more antibiotics, unless it's absolutely necessary. Tetracyclines are supposed to treat Ulcerative Enteritis (plus some kinds of Collibacillosis) so I'm hoping the problem will resolve with that. I'm also starting to give them Oxine in their water again, so maybe that could kill off a bacteria that might cause enteritis.

I think it would be useless to use probiotics until they're off meds, especially since with Oxine it kills lactobacillus. However, hopefully soon I can add probiotics into their food.

Any other ideas of what may cause the excessive urates would be welcome!

Back
Top Bottom