1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hens laying eggs from the roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrcman, Nov 3, 2012.

1. mrcman

mrcman Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2011
    NW Pa.
    Morning,

I have two of my fourteen hens laying there eggs from the roost sometime before 4:30am. If the egg happens to land on a load of poop on the poop board it won't break, but if it misses any poop it will break. I've never had hens do this. What can I do to correct this?? All my other hens seem to know where to do there business.

Thanks Tony

2. OperationHatch

OperationHatch Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2012
    Otsego, MI
    My Coop
    Wow, that is interesting. mine have never done this. I will occasionally find and en egg beneath their roost but it's probably because someone was in their favorite lay box.

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I think that happens when something frightens them, I had that happen when it got really cold outside and I shoved the turkeys in and they didn't want to be there (they like to sleep in the trees), the next day 3 of may girls laid from the roost.

4. mrcman

mrcman Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2011
    NW Pa.
    I really appreciate your responses. Now I need a fix as to what to do. We all lose an egg from time to time because of one thing or another, but them laying eggs from the roost every night is becoming bothersome.

If I put a nite lite in ther coop, would that help? Or would that just keep the othes awake??

Tny

5. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    one thing to be careful about is newcastle desiese

one sign is soft eggs being layed from the roost at night

the illness makes the eggs shells soft so the hen cant hold in the egg and they drop out from the roost

also look at the poop if its green and watery its newcastle

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by