Hen's leg injured?

dreamdoc

Chirping
12 Years
Mar 12, 2012
My hen injured her leg. Initially she was limping. I isolated her in a cage with the flock. I'm trying to give her aspirin for pain, I've examined her foot and don't find any bumps, swelling, etc. A week later she is still eating and drink but seems to be not getting better. I splinted her leg but she then could not stand and get to food/water so I removed it 14hrs later. She did better but now seems like she cant bear weight and is sitting most of the time. Should I splint her and assume it's broken or just leave her alone, continue what I'm doing and be patient? Or should I euthanize her. A vet here would cost $380 so thaat's out of the question. Really at a lost. She is older and special to me. Ideas?

How old is she? Was she putting weight on the leg, or holding it up? Splinting, when you don’t know if there is a broken bone or not, can be harmful. There could be a sprain, or other problem. Could she be showing signs of Mareks? Was she vaccinated? Is there any swelling, redness, or green bruising on the leg. An foot scab or cut on the bottoms?

It can take some time to heal, depending on what the injury is. If she's still eating and drinking normally, I would let it go a while before thinking about euthanizing. I have one hen that gets the same leg injury every 3-4 months. I'm not sure if it's a muscle, ligament, or something else, but she spends most of a week laying around. Then she'll slowly get back to normal after a couple weeks. As long as it's not a major/glaring injury, see how she does. Maybe give her an Epsom salt bath in the evenings. It seems to help my hen be a little more mobile. Good luck and keep us posted.

She was vaccinated. Today she tried to stand and sat/slid back down. I'm wondering if she has damage high up on the leg at the joint. She's eating broccoli leaves that I feed her but she didn't seem interested in the worms today. I am not feeling hopeful.
How old is she? Was she putting weight on the leg, or holding it up? Splinting, when you don’t know if there is a broken bone or not, can be harmful. There could be a sprain, or other problem. Could she be showing signs of Mareks? Was she vaccinated? Is there any swelling, redness, or green bruising on the leg. An foot scab or cut on the bottoms?

Back
Top Bottom