Hen's leg is bleeding

Readytolearn

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 24, 2009
This morning I went to let my two hens out of the coop and one of them has a bleeding leg. It is just in one spot and not bleeding badly but it is a fairly new wound from the color. It looks like a small cut. This hen is very skittish and hates to be picked up but I could get her from the coop after she goes in for the evening.

Is there anything I should do or just keep an eye on it? Maybe catch her tonight and at least put rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide on it to keep it clean? Do I need to separate them even if I have no reason to think the other hen caused the injury?

Thanks so much for any help!

Welcome to BYC! I'm glad to see that you're ready to learn!
big_smile.png
Is your hen a feather-footed breed? If so , it's possible that one of her feathers got plucked/torn out. If this is the case, just wash it off, dry it, and keep an eye on it. Shouldn't be a problem.
welcome-byc.gif

Thank you so much for the reply! I apologize, I should have included more information in my post. The hen is a one year old RIR so no feathers on the legs.

Is the advice still basically the same? Wash it off, dry it and keep an eye on it?

Pretty much. If the other chickens start picking at it you may want to separate her from the rest of the flock until it starts to heal up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom