Rooster’s feet/spurs bleeding, don’t know what to do!

Sugarcoop

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2023
My one and a half year old rooster has a bleeding foot, and I’m unsure about whether it’s coming from the spur or a wound on the leg itself. He lives in a spacious coop with 5 hens, and acts/looks completely normal and healthy. However, his feet do bleed pretty often (around once every 2 months or so), and I am unsure what to do. Thank you!

I’ll add a picture once I have time to take one,,

Welcome To BYC

Can you please post photos.

His feet bleed often? What's usually the source for this happening?

Thank you.
Pictures please?
IMG_6585.jpeg

Thank you for responding! His feet do bleed around the spur and the toes every 2-3 months or so, but I don’t know if why or how he gets injured. He is acting completely fine as usual, and only one leg is bleeding

View attachment 3729246

Thank you for responding! His feet do bleed around the spur and the toes every 2-3 months or so, but I don’t know if why or how he gets injured. He is acting completely fine as usual, and only one leg is bleeding
The tip of his spur is busted.

View attachment 3729246

Thank you for responding! His feet do bleed around the spur and the toes every 2-3 months or so, but I don’t know if why or how he gets injured. He is acting completely fine as usual, and only one leg is
Is he missing the entire spur sheath? That’s what it looks like compared to his other spur! Could be an old injury that knocked it off. If that happens it only leaves like a spur shaped quick and he’s other spur could be hitting it and making it bleed. I can’t really tell from picture but kinda looks that way to me

The tip of his spur is busted.

Is he missing the entire spur sheath? That’s what it looks like compared to his other spur! Could be an old injury that knocked it off. If that happens it only leaves like a spur shaped quick and he’s other spur could be hitting it and making it bleed. I can’t really tell from picture but kinda looks that way to me
Good to know, thank you! I’ll do some research to find out how to help him, maybe cornstarch on the wound

What's the bottom of his foot look like?

Do you have another rooster that is housed behind fencing?
Looks like he's been fence fighting to me and if you are seeing this type of injury every once in a while, likely he's fighting something at the fence.

Your weather is presumably cold since I see snow/ice on the ground in the photo.

Looks like the outer sheath is missing on the spur, but it's already starting to heal. I'd be inclined to just leave it alone and let it stop bleeding on its own, in cold weather it won't take very long.
His back toe is scuffed up, another indication of kicking wire. That should heal over and scab up by itself as well.

More of a concern is if the bottom of his toes or his footpad is damaged and how much blood/moisture does he have on the bottom of the foot. Check that out and wipe of the bottom of the feet. Ideally they need to be dry since the weather looks cold - you don't want him to have frostbitten feet.

Back
Top Bottom