Rooster's spurs too long! What to do?

Mar 8, 2024
This has been let go for way to long, I just hadn't had any time to tend to it šŸ˜¬
One of my roosters, my three-year-old olive egger's spurs are too long and very pointy, he has to lift up each foot entirely in order to walk to avoid him "tripping over his own spurs."
I was wondering, what do I do? I don't want the procedure to be painful, and not too terribly invasive to where it bleeds all over the place šŸ˜•

We use a large dog nail clippers and nip them off before the quick. If you happen to hit the quick, a bit of Kwikstop powder will help it stop bleeding. Otherwise corn starch is said to do the trick too. We trim ours at least yearly or more often if necessary.

When it's done properly, spur trimming isn't painful at all - it's just like trimming our fingernails! I use a dog nail clipper and take away a little at a time. Just be sure to have some cornstarch on hand, just in case. I nipped too far once, but he was still just fine.

We have an old silkie rooster whose spurs grow inward so we have to trim them every six months or so or he'll start walking bull-legged to avoid cutting himself.

Hubby uses a dykes/wire cutters. We keep the flour near by but after about 20 times of doing this, he only bled once and the flour stopped it.

Hubby wants to try the Dremmel the next time. I bet that would work nicely too.

We use a large dog nail clippers and nip them off before the quick. If you happen to hit the quick, a bit of Kwikstop powder will help it stop bleeding. Otherwise corn starch is said to do the trick too. We trim ours at least yearly or more often if necessary.
I didn't know that there was a quick in a chicken's spurs just like in a dog's nail!!

Dremel tool with a cutting wheel is the way to go. Wrap the rooster snuggly in a towel, tie his legs together with a piece of clothesline or shoestring. Then get to work on his spurs. Make sure you wear safety eyewear. You can cut through the spurs and blood will be cauterized no problem, even through the secondary spur. Take your time, no hurry.

I would not trim them all the way up to the leg. Iā€™d leave about 1/2 on the spur as I think that part is sensitive.

Back
Top Bottom