Bloody, bent spur

Zulu Mama

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2023
Good morning. Last night, I saw my 3 year old rooster, Bob, has a spur injury. His spur isangled down towards his foot, not up like it was. loys of blood. I brought him inside and we trimmed his spurs. I had previously trimmed a couple inches off as he had an injury, same leg, earlier this summer. I've put colloidal silver in his water and he's in my garage. The last time I brought him inside to heal, he wouldn't eat, was crowing and singing the egg song to the hens, all by his lonesome. Kinda pitiful. I don't want him to be separated from the flock very long as I've got a couple young roosters and don't want them getting the idea that they are alphas. Guess I'm wondering if the spur will have to be totally removed. I'm not comfortable with doing that. I suspect he's gotten it caught on some fencing.

Pictures would be very helpful. If the spur is broken and just hanging, then yes it probably would be best to remove it so it doesn't catch on anything and do more damage. Roosters lose spurs all the time and usually do just fine. More than likely it will slowly grow back. If it's just hanging then you can probably just easily cut it off with a sharp pair of scissors. Then dab a bit of plain triple antibiotic ointment,plain neosporin, or betadine to the area. As long as bleeding is stopped, it should be fine. If it bleeds then put pressure on the spot until it stops. As long as he's not actively bleeding, he should be fine to stay with the flock.

Pictures would be very helpful. If the spur is broken and just hanging, then yes it probably would be best to remove it so it doesn't catch on anything and do more damage. Roosters lose spurs all the time and usually do just fine. More than likely it will slowly grow back. If it's just hanging then you can probably just easily cut it off with a sharp pair of scissors. Then dab a bit of plain triple antibiotic ointment,plain neosporin, or betadine to the area. As long as bleeding is stopped, it should be fine. If it bleeds then put pressure on the spot until it stops. As long as he's not actively bleeding, he should be fine to stay with the flock.
I kept him inside for a few days, then we watched a few videos on removing spurs. It did not go well here. His injured spur bled like holy blazes and he was showing signs of real pain, so we stopped. Kept him in overnight until it was well clotted and let him back out with his wimmins. He never limped again that I saw, no fresh blood, but it would be in odd positions and eventually fell off. Even the bony part from inside. He's doing fine now.

Back
Top Bottom