Rooster spur completely off!!!!

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
My roosters spurs have been getting very ling and have been bugging him when he’s trying to roost. I was going to cut them but yesterday the one spur like half of it broke off but it was the putter layer and I figured I’d let him be until today to cut it when I got home. I got home to find his entire spurs gone and the soft pet is exposed. I put blue kote clotting stuff on it and tried my best to clean it but he was freaking out and had blood everywhere. He’ll be stained red for a little bit but will he be okay? Do I need to do anything to the exposed part?

Attachments

• 5DFCCC06-BBF8-41FD-9536-005CDCB4ECD8.png
    5DFCCC06-BBF8-41FD-9536-005CDCB4ECD8.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 53
  • 496D16F8-061D-439C-AD96-2E65D054669B.png
    496D16F8-061D-439C-AD96-2E65D054669B.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 17
  • A7D59980-6AC6-4CDB-856D-CEB723175E08.png
    A7D59980-6AC6-4CDB-856D-CEB723175E08.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 18
  • B1E26549-E798-49B8-A6F9-78CD7B7005E4.png
    B1E26549-E798-49B8-A6F9-78CD7B7005E4.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 17
The Blue Kote probably stings.

Is he still bleeding? It will usually stop and clot on it's own. Sometimes I don't do anything to a broken spur, other times I may wrap.

In your case, it looks like it may be torn and quite a bit of quick is exposed so he will be very tender for several days. Wrapping may be a good idea, but it's going to be sensitive and he will indicate that it's painful while you're wrapping.

To wrap, spritz the spur with Chlorhexidine or Povidone Iodine. Let that stay on a few minutes. Apply triple antibiotic ointment to a non stick gauze pad and cover the spur. Wrap from foot to above spur with vet wrap, keep that non stick pad with ointment over the spur.

Check daily and change daily. If the pad sticks to the spur for some reason, don't just pull it off, use your Chlorhexidine, Povidone Iodine or Saline to wet the gauze and gently work it loose.

The above wrapping instructions and steps are what I have done with my own roosters multiple times over the years, it's important to check wrappings make sure they are not too tight on the feet and legs and change them. If the wrapping gets wet, change it more often.

You can choose to just let him be - I've done that too and just monitored the healing process very closely.

The Blue Kote probably stings.

Is he still bleeding? It will usually stop and clot on it's own. Sometimes I don't do anything to a broken spur, other times I may wrap.

In your case, it looks like it may be torn and quite a bit of quick is exposed so he will be very tender for several days. Wrapping may be a good idea, but it's going to be sensitive and he will indicate that it's painful while you're wrapping.

To wrap, spritz the spur with Chlorhexidine or Povidone Iodine. Let that stay on a few minutes. Apply triple antibiotic ointment to a non stick gauze pad and cover the spur. Wrap from foot to above spur with vet wrap, keep that non stick pad with ointment over the spur.

Check daily and change daily. If the pad sticks to the spur for some reason, don't just pull it off, use your Chlorhexidine, Povidone Iodine or Saline to wet the gauze and gently work it loose.

The above wrapping instructions and steps are what I have done with my own roosters multiple times over the years, it's important to check wrappings make sure they are not too tight on the feet and legs and change them. If the wrapping gets wet, change it more often.

You can choose to just let him be - I've done that too and just monitored the healing process very closely.
He would lose his mind if I wrapped his leg! But yes I’m going to monitor it. And I’m not sure if it’s still bleeding he went to bed but I’ll check in the morning. He will be fine right? Will it get infected? I believe I have providone iodine. Could I clean it with this more tomrrow? It’s getting colder out soni don’t want to apply stuff and have it get cold or freeze on him.

He would lose his mind if I wrapped his leg! But yes I’m going to monitor it. And I’m not sure if it’s still bleeding he went to bed but I’ll check in the morning. He will be fine right? Will it get infected? I believe I have providone iodine. Could I clean it with this more tomrrow? It’s getting colder out soni don’t want to apply stuff and have it get cold or freeze on him.
I figured he might lose his mind if you tried.

If it's clotted and not bleeding in the morning, I would leave it alone then. You risk disturbing the scab and causing it to bleed.

I have them heal up just fine without any complications, but there's always a possibility something could happen, just monitor closely.

I figured he might lose his mind if you tried.

If it's clotted and not bleeding in the morning, I would leave it alone then. You risk disturbing the scab and causing it to bleed.

I have them heal up just fine without any complications, but there's always a possibility something could happen, just monitor closely.
This morning I believe it stopped bleeding. It’s still a mess but he will usally clean it up by himself with digging and all that. After this is healed I’m going to cut the other spur.

Back
Top Bottom