Rooster Broken Spur Injury

ChickenAJ

Songster
Aug 12, 2022
Missouri, USA, Earth
One morning, about a week ago or so, I found my rooster (1 yr old) bleeding from his spur. Since we are currently dealing with bumblefoot, we had the first aid kit handy. I took him inside and doctored it up. I am not sure where it came from, but the blood track started on the floor of the coop where I imagine he would jump down from his sleeping perch area.

How does a rooster break his spur and start to bleed everywhere? It is broken about halfway. So his left spur is about half the size of his right spur.

What needs to be done to promote the right kind of healing for a spur? So far, treatment has been very similar to bumblefoot dressings, because that is what was handy.

Also worthy of note is that even after putting flour on it, it kept bleeding for another day or two, but the bandage held it in. Cold water therapy helped the bleeding minimize greatly.

As long as you keep it clean and don't aggravate the wound, it should be fine. It will be tender though. I have a bunch of goofy looking boys with one giant spur and one shorter normal one

Back
Top Bottom