Broken spur help

Mika1940

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2023
Help, My chicken Accidentally broke his spur 4 days ago. It's s bleeding so bad that day. We don't know much about this thing bcoz I never thought of keeping a chicken as my pet. The 1st thing we did is to clean it with water and betadine then we put bandage. We're a bit busy so I have to leave him at home for a while and then after I came back home, I checked him and its still bleeding. My sister asked somebody she knew who was keeping a chicken (but that person is keeping a chicken for fowl fight) he recommended that we put a moringa or horseradish leave on his wound. We did it but the next day it doesn't look so good. I'm so worried. Its swelling. We stopped applying moringa and just clean it with water and betadine again (I've found some recommendations from the internet that we should apply neosporin on jis wound. But I only found this tip 2days after the injury was happened.) I oredered online, still not arriving. We checked the wound on its 4th day and this making us to worry. Its black and swelling. My rooster looks physically fine, still active and entertaining. Even though he looks fine, I'm still worried bcoz he's wound doesn't look good. Avian vets here in our country isn't that popular. We took so long before we found someone to respond to us, we tried online consultation 1st before deciding for personal appointment. We sent photos of my roo's injured wound and the 1st thing that vet recommended is to remove the spur like WTH! I don't want to trust that vet. How cime he could just tell us to remove it like its just a fingernail without any trying to dig deeper about the situation.
Here are some photos, from 1st day amd 4th day
received_1023542735307846.jpeg
received_1000972250909746.jpeg
received_1679324899203941.jpeg
received_141322572333707.jpeg
received_715901156963854.jpeg
received_616802377219464.jpeg

Your vet is not wrong. Your rooster lost the giantest of fingernails.

Now image you ripped off your entire thumbnail all the way to the cuticle.

It's painful and it's going to bleed. When the bleeding stops, it's going to dry up and get ugly.

Keep it clean, bandage it if you want. Watch for Infection.

It should grow back but it will grow slowly.

Your vet is not wrong. Your rooster lost the giantest of fingernails.

Now image you ripped off your entire thumbnail all the way to the cuticle.

It's painful and it's going to bleed. When the bleeding stops, it's going to dry up and get ugly.

Keep it clean, bandage it if you want. Watch for Infection.

It should grow back but it will grow slowly.

He should be fine. It happens quite a lot. Your rooster has knocked off the outer part of his spur, the root is still there so it should grow back but as Mason Farm and Ranch mentions, it will be a slow process.
Betadine should be fine as a disinfectant. Better still is Chlorhexedine which you leave on the wound.
They tend to bleed a lot intitially which is worrying but the bleeding usually stops quite quicky if the rooster is kept calm.
Don't attempt to bandage it.

The vet told us to literally remove the whole thing. He didn't give any tips or what, he just said to cut it, I mean the thing that bleeds and where those spurs grow.
I couldn't just agree to that. It's like he's asking to remove the finger😭.

Well anyways he just saw a photo. I'm afraid that this vet is jusy too eager to have a patient since their clinic is the ony one who gave a very fast response. We tried contacting most recommended vets first and none of them gave a quick response. We wil try to look for another one that would not suggest asap to remove the whole thing. I'm afraid that we end up bringing our chicken to a vet that only wants money and doesn't care dissecting the poor chicken.

We keep it clean but the only thing we can use for disinfecting is betadine, is it ok? Anyways thank you for responding.

Thank you! I will get chlorhexedine asap. As for now we only have betadine since this is the 1st thing that comes into our mind that is safe for disinfecting wounds. I never been closed to a chickens even we used to have chickens (fowl meat business) when I was younger. I don't know anythung about them or how to handle injured one. This really made me feel calm from what you said that it happens a lot.
He should be fine. It happens quite a lot. Your rooster has knocked off the outer part of his spur, the root is still there so it should grow back but as Mason Farm and Ranch mentions, it will be a slow process.
Betadine should be fine as a disinfectant. Better still is Chlorhexedine which you leave on the wound.
They tend to bleed a lot intitially which is worrying but the bleeding usually stops quite quicky if the rooster is kept calm.
Don't attempt to bandag

Antibiotic salves are good however they a very hard to use on an animal.
At 71 I have used Silver spray for man & beast, for many years. It works
& you can spray it on wounds often without toxins & goop building up.

You can get it here. :https://www.amazon.com/PetSilver-Wound-Chelated-Silver-Horses/dp/B00KSRBDHE/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?crid=GEZRN5LEE8L8&keywords=silver+spray+for+wounds&qid=1690974472&rdc=1&sprefix=silver+spray,aps,923&sr=8-4-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=

Oh. Somebody dude told us to give antibiotic. He gave us a capsule but we're kinda afraid to give it to my roo without getting another opinion ls from peoples like you( the dude is known for keeping chickens for chicken fight so I kinda don't want to take his advice) anyways thank you. I will also find silver spray. Thank you so much

The vet told us to literally remove the whole thing. He didn't give any tips or what, he just said to cut it, I mean the thing that bleeds and where those spurs grow.
I couldn't just agree to that. It's like he's asking to remove the finger😭.

Well anyways he just saw a photo. I'm afraid that this vet is jusy too eager to have a patient since their clinic is the ony one who gave a very fast response. We tried contacting most recommended vets first and none of them gave a quick response. We wil try to look for another one that would not suggest asap to remove the whole thing. I'm afraid that we end up bringing our chicken to a vet that only wants money and doesn't care dissecting the poor chicken.

We keep it clean but the only thing we can use for disinfecting is betadine, is it ok? Anyways thank you for responding.
Tell the vet to blow smoke. If you cut that, the bleeding will stop sooner, but the spur will not grow back.

This blog is so popular because there are so few vets that are knowledgeable about chickens....and clearly he ain't one if them.

There are a dozen or so items that make up a chicken first aid kit. Blood stop powder is one.

Back
Top Bottom