hens mating hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ellie, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    My one RIR female used to mate other females, and I asked on here about it. Seems it is fairly normal in a flock without a rooster.

I now have a rooster, he is 16 or 17 weeks old and is mating nearly all the hens.... well, when they don't chase him off or peck him on the head [​IMG]

This morning, I saw one of my Buff Orpingtons mating another hen. She stayed on her for some time... grabbed her by the neck, the whole nine yards.

For those of you with roosters, do you see that behavior with your hens?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  2. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

No, I've never seen this, but our roos are all hen-pecked by at least one other girl. The closest I've had to this experience is one of the hens 'dancing' (wing-waltzing, courting, etc...) another hen. Weird!

3. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Saw it again this evening.... hen mating hen.

Wonder when they will all mate with their new rooster?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Ellie, I dont know what to tell you. None of mine have ever done that.

5. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Oh, gee, if yours haven't done that, and you watch them closely, maybe mine are just weird...

Well, I do live in California, but these are hatchery birds from another state [​IMG]

I wonder if anyone has seen this type of behavior?

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, it's obviously dominance behavior, but mine seem to bully the others without " going rooster", LOL.

7. PQ

PQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    Hello, I have a standard cochin that I thought was a female, I separated it from the others and waited and waited for a egg. He/she has never crowed never layed a egg but always try to do te get up and go with our RIR.
    Is yours laying yet? See you have a rooster. Sometimes if you dont have a roo a hen or hens will take that part, or if you got a rooster after having the hens for awhile. Sometimes crowing, getting rubbery like spurs and yes mounting other hens.
    Have a nice day, the weather is finally looking good today LOL
    Said we are going to get snow/rain tonight, so tired of living in the mud [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  8. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Thanks for the reply, PQ. The hens that are doing the rooster thang are truly egg laying hens. I have an RIR who is Queen of the flock and she has done this for a time while I had no rooster. Now, a buff orpington did the same thing which she hasn't done before so I thought it strange. Now, I DO have a rooster who is only 17 weeks old so maybe they are just all settling down.

He does his rooster job all day it seems... maybe they will "get it" soon!

9. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    They're protesting proposition 8. [​IMG]

I've read of other hens taking a dominant position and "mating" other hens, as well as of roos doing this. It's not super common but it does happen.

10. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    [​IMG]

Good thing they can't vote. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by