hens mating hens

Some dominant hens behave like roosters when in the absence of one. My grandma used to say this kind of behavior is not natural. She culled them and ended up in the cocking pot. Also when she butchered them, some had ovaries along with small testicles. Real weird. She called them rooster/hen.

This past weekend, one of my hens tried mating another hen. She doesn't have a deep rooster "voice", and she hasn't tried crowing either. She has tiny litte spurs, but she hasn't laid an egg yet. A few days ago, she squatted down and called our rooster over to mate her.

I purchased all 4 of my birds together (1 rooster, 3 girls including my "weird one") when they were 2 1/2 months.
Is it possible that a chicken will act like a rooster, even though a rooster lives with her?

I have a buff that laid eggs last year before I got a rooster. This year she isn't laying and she's mounting one of my speckled hens. But I think it might just be the pecking order thing, cause this poor speckled one gets beat up pretty much by everyone.
I have heard that hens can turn into roosters because the chromosomes are all there when an egg is laid, but the temperature during incubation is what determines what chrmosomes will be developed into a hen or roo. Sort of a Jurassic Park type of thing.

i had to take my roo out of the coop for about a month he was way to ruff and i caught one of my hens mating the others and also when i put him back in she attacked him i mean she did the whole nine yards wing spread danced and around and made an awful noise so i seperated her because my roo is pretty big and was close to killing her how odd for a hen to behave like that but i quess some one has to take charge while the boss is gone lol

I have seen various dominate hens mounting the other hens in my flock. It does happen somewhat regularly. I can see the hens through the window from where I am working. I just ignore it.

I witnessed this very odd behavior with my hens yesterday...I have only hens and recently lost what we thought was the "top hen"...think the pecking order is in flux...I have NO roosters...very strange indeed!!

Back
Top Bottom