Hens Missing Feathers from Backs

sgreen0313

Hatching
Dec 13, 2015
I have one rooster and six hens. All are about nine months old. Three of the hens are missing feathers on their back and bare skin is exposed and red. One of them has small tears on her skin. I suspect it's from the rooster mounting them. I've attached some pictures. Is there anything I should be doing to lessen their injuries or help them heal?
85711a264b44c50a4dc08caa0f0a96ee.jpg
1367edb75e1fa5efed81fa7b63f6323e.jpg
75925028bf1a03b9b3ea663504590493.jpg

Thats rooster damage for you.Providing more space and more activities will help decrease mounting.If he continues you should separate him for a while.You can buy Hen Saddles look it up.

Thanks for the info. Just got them a chicken swing so maybe it will help. Will research the saddles as well. Thanks again.

Last edited:

When my roosters were young the hens backs were really bare. The roosters are 1 1/2 years old.
Now my hens have not one feather missing. They are very good. 3 roosters 11 hens. I would give him another 6 months.
He should calm down. Or this may help

Definitely get the chicken saddles! You might want to try getting one with shoulder protectors as well, it looks like the tops of their wings are missing some feathers as well. I bought these ones: http://www.hensaver.com/ with the removable shoulder protector, you can also try googling "butterfly saddle for hens" they also have shoulder protection. It has helped my girls a lot! I do remove them periodically when the feathers begin to grow back so that they are able to preen the new feather growth.
big_smile.png

Awesome, thank you. We have one rooster for the six hens and their coop is 10' tall and about 15'X20'. Hopefully the swing helps too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back
Top Bottom