Hens Missing Feathers on Their Fluffy Butts

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Firearia, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

My five BO hens are the only ones missing fethers on their big fluffy butts. Could it be excessive mating from the roosters? All seven of my BOs sleep on the ground, however my roosters show no sign of missing feathers. But maybe I haven't noticed. Also, if it was mites wouldn't it not be just the bum area?

Thanks!

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I have the same problem. Check further down at Manage your flock under Their canibals.Wish I new the answer. My girls once beautiful butts are featherless .

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Could it be feather picking? Are the feathers missing from under their tails or on their backs? If it is their backs it is probably mating that is causing the problem.

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Fluffy Butts

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Bare butts is going to be feather picking, unless they are loaded with mites and lice. There are some good threads under Index on the FAQ page.

Feather pecking is ordinarily caused by too little protein, boredom, and/or lack of space. The space problem may be present even if you meet the rule of thumb on here, 10 sq ft per chicken in the run and 4 in the coop. This really isn't a lot of space for chickens. Just depends on your flock. Other factors can be stress, including a major change in their environment or even feed. Light added for egg laying can also be a factor in some cases. Just what I can think of.

6. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks guys, I just find it's weird that it's only the hens. Maybe it's because the red light finally stopped going out at random times? I have noticed my other layers who do not lay in winter have started laying, so maybe it is the light. Also, the orps have the whole floor to themselves and they always sleep in one corner together. So I don't think it could be space issues. I haven't seen them picking at each other just the occasional, 'get out of my way' peck in the head.

It looks kinda like this hen here, but not as bad at all.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by