Hens missing feathers

moonlitfarms

Songster
12 Years
Aug 17, 2007
Indiana
I have 2 hens with bare spots on their backs then one that that has bare spot on her back and her butt is bare. They all act fine, eat, drink, lay. They are cooped up with my roo. I keep them in the coop because I think it's too cold for them (teens and 20's with snow and winds) I have been reading post after post after post. Sounds like it could be from roo or it could be mites. I have not dusted these guys for the reason of not being able to find food grade DE. Can you see the mites, what would I look for? And about Sevin dust, this is ok to use and still eat their eggs? Help the fairly new chicken mom.

Last edited:
Sounds like roo to me too! If you have a run or someplace where the snow isn't to deep that you can get them out let them out! I'm in WI and if it is double digits I let them out into their run. Even if for a little while. You can also make them saddles so that he isn't taking off their feathers. You need to be careful about bleeding. Then you have the problem of them pecking the injured hen. I have to go milk the cows now but, will check in later to see if you need a photo of a saddle to know what to make.-I will have to upload it.

I read on someones post to use duck tape, thought i would try it as i have the same problem, but I know mine is from my loving roo. who ever left the post regarding the duck tape said it could not hurt them,but since i can't find the duck tape, and its snowing and can't get to town, will have to wait and see,

Owned by 13 RIR,1 pitt bull, 1 poodle mix 1 yorkie, 1 great dane,and 1 crabby gray cat, that with the snow is hiding.

Here are a couple of chicken saddles I have come across:
Chickensaddle1.jpg

It should be for a standard roughly 4 1/2 inches across at the top and the middle part of the bottom should be roughly 8 inches. Use a wider elastic to go around the wings as a narrow one will slide off easily. This is the type I made but I also ran across this one if you don't sew:
chickensaddle2.jpg

The person who posted this one said:

I have occasionally used jackets on the hens-not because it’s cute though! The roosters will sometimes wear the feathers off the back of their favorite hen, the jackets protect their backs until the feathers grow back in the next molt. I use polar fleece because it is soft, flexible and does not need to be hemmed. It's important that the jacket be tight enough not to fall off but loose enough not to be uncomfortable or restrict. I've found that all you need for an effective jacket is for it to fit around the wings and over the tail.

I forget who had posted it and have not tried it as I had made the other kind. Good luck!

Ella is the one that gave me the link for the fleece no sew kind.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom