Hens no longer sleeping in coop

nbro01h

Chirping
Jun 16, 2015
North Carolina
Relatively recently i picked up 3 ducks. The ducks refuse to sleep in the chicken coop and instead sleep in their pool. Recently 3 of my hens took to sleeping next to the pool with the ducks. This was fine because the run is secure but now winter is approaching. Will the chickens return to the coop when the temperature drops or do i need to start locking them in at night? And should the ducks be put in the coop also? Thanks in advance for any help.

It would be a good idea to lock them in the coop at night. Even if your run is secure it's still some extra safety against predators. And they might be smart enough to go in the coop when it's cold and then they might not. I've had chickens that will sit ouside their coop in the rain. So they obviously didn't know what was best for them. And if you force them go stay in the coop it will reinforce the habit and they should start going in on their own again. I've never had ducks so I can't say for sure if they need to go in the coop or not. But sleeping in a pool seems like a bad habit. Especially in winter time.

That's what I was thinking. I just didn't want to force them in every night for the next few weeks if I didn't have to. The chickens arnt bad but the ducks are hard to catch. Lol thanks for the help!

Hanging a flashlight in the coop at dusk can help encourage chickens (at least) to return to the coop. Once they are in, simply turn off the flashlight.

Maybe remove the pool from the run?
Ducks like to swim but really don't need to have that available 24/7....they just need water deep enough to rinse nares.
Do your birds free range at all?? ...maybe set up a pool once a week for them to swim if you feel they must.

Is your coop big enough for all the chickens(how many?) and the ducks?
Pics would help.
Maybe the 3 hens are not bonded with, or subordinate to, the other chickens and find the new ducks more hospitable companions?

My ducks prefer to sleep outside rather than in the coop. I used to lock them up, but they would trash the coop at night. If I gave them water, they'd splash it everywhere. If I didn't give them water, they'd scream their heads off and act like they were dying of thirst by early morning. I know other people on here close their ducks up without water overnight and they're just fine, but mine sure pitched a fit over it.

The coop 6x4x7. I have 11 chickens and 3 ducks. Everything I've read says it should be enough space. 2 of the hens spent a couple weeks with the ducks as chicks in the broader before they got separated. And no free ranging, don't trust my dogs enough.

Back
Top Bottom