Hens NOT eating layer pellets

I learned years ago that layer feed simply doesn't have a very exciting taste, and chickens really do notice.

This was one of the reasons I did away all together with layer feed. Unless you run a commercial egg barn, layer really isn't necessary.

I switched to Purina flock Raiser and provided oyster shell free choice, and soon after, began fermenting the feed. I throw in some BOSS and the chickens can't get more excited about their feed.

This feeding practice also serves my mixed flock well. I have roosters, chicks, and "retired" layers that all should not have layer feed, so the all flock feed makes life simpler - no juggling different feeds for different needs.
What is BOSS?

So my 4 hens will not eat the layer pellets I bought or the oyster shell. They free range all day and LOVE the scratch mix I put down in the run for when they are inside. They follow me to the run after I have let them out and wait until I pit the scratch down. I have mixed the pellets and oyster shell with the scratch but they pick around it. Is this an issue? Should I just buy and feed them scratch?

On occasion all our feed store has left is the organic scratch so sometimes my girls go a few days just on that... they're in hog heaven when it happens (maybe twice a year) and then hate when I go back to their pellets but I just take the scratch away cold turkey until they're eating their pellets again and then sparingly give them the scratch until it's gone. It really is like candy to them.

Back
Top Bottom