Hens not going into coop

Eland1957

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2022
Lafayette,Louisiana
My hens won't even try to go in their coop. The coop is 7' X 8' and their run is 8' X 22'. I don't want to lock them in the coop because of the 90 - 100 degree weather here in South Louisiana. They roost in the run at night and I fine with that but they are 16 weeks old and I would love for them to get used to the coop before they start laying.

Any ideas?

My hens won't even try to go in their coop. The coop is 7' X 8' and their run is 8' X 22'. I don't want to lock them in the coop because of the 90 - 100 degree weather here in South Louisiana. They roost in the run at night and I fine with that but they are 16 weeks old and I would love for them to get used to the coop before they start laying.

Any ideas?
Try feeding them in it?

Photos of the coop? Have they ever slept in the coop at all? How much ventilation and natural (or added artificial) light is there in there at dusk?

Since you're in a hot climate, have you gotten a temperature reading inside the coop vs outside?
They have not slept in the coop at all. As for ventilation I have the 2 side windows and the gable that's inside the run is completely open. No light as of now in the coop.

I just took a reading this morning from the time the pictures were taken and it was 89 *F in the run and 90* F in the coop.

Attachments

• IMG_5246.jpg
    IMG_5246.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5247.jpg
    IMG_5247.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
I have 1 2x4x8 on one side of the coop about 10" below the side window.

I asked because chickens like the highest spot, it makes them feel safe.
I was surprised the other day at dusk when I couldn't see some youngsters, it wasn't until I walked in the coop and turned around that I spotted them up above the human door on a tiny ledge made by the framing with only an inch or so between their heads and the ceiling. And they have a lot of roosts to choose from.
I'm my experience, the only thing keeping chickens lower than the maximum height spot is the pecking order, and flying ability.

Back
Top Bottom