Hens not going into coop

Mine wouldn’t go in theirs at first so I was helping them in every evening. By day 4 they were going in on their own. I’m in Florida so I know what you mean about the heat. They like to hang out in the doorway which can make it hard for the rest to go in.

I just went thru the same thing with my 7 week olds. I bought a battery powered string of fairy lights and wrapped them around one beam, then turned it on about 8pm when it was starting to get dark. We have had hot temps here too during the day so at the same time I turned on the fairy lights I put a battery powered fan inside the coop just to help move some air around. They went right in!!! The fan has a USB charger port and it only lasts about 6hrs, so it's perfect for cooling things off at the start of the night and then it just dies by the time the temps drop. So then I take it out and charge it in the am and put it back in when it's time for them to start thinking about bed!

I just went thru the same thing with my 7 week olds. I bought a battery powered string of fairy lights and wrapped them around one beam, then turned it on about 8pm when it was starting to get dark. We have had hot temps here too during the day so at the same time I turned on the fairy lights I put a battery powered fan inside the coop just to help move some air around. They went right in!!! The fan has a USB charger port and it only lasts about 6hrs, so it's perfect for cooling things off at the start of the night and then it just dies by the time the temps drop. So then I take it out and charge it in the am and put it back in when it's time for them to start thinking about bed!
That’s a really great idea!

They have not slept in the coop at all. As for ventilation I have the 2 side windows and the gable that's inside the run is completely open. No light as of now in the coop.

I just took a reading this morning from the time the pictures were taken and it was 89 *F in the run and 90* F in the coop.
How hot is it inside vs outside at dusk, when you're wanting them to go in? many large buildings, esp metal ones, build up heat during the day so a morning temperature is not relevant.

Photos of the coop? Have they ever slept in the coop at all? How much ventilation and natural (or added artificial) light is there in there at dusk?

Since you're in a hot climate, have you gotten a temperature reading inside the coop vs outside?

How hot is it inside vs outside at dusk, when you're wanting them to go in? many large buildings, esp metal ones, build up heat during the day so a morning temperature is not relevant.

These are important questions.

Here in North Carolina I find that I need either DEEP shade or 2-3 times the suggest minimum ventilation of 1 square foot per adult, standard-sized hen in order to keep a coop under 100F on a 90F day.

You mentioned a gable vent into the run, but is there a ridge vent so that the heat can escape out the roof of the coop and run? That wouldn't necessarily be required on a coop in a temperate environment, but in the Steamy South you need all the airFLOW you can get.

Here's my article on ventilation: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

I *personally* haven't seen the big difference with light that some people find -- possibly due to the design of my coops. However I did find that the "teenagers" wanted to sleep out in the run when I didn't have adults to teach them where they should go and what they should do. (I've actually seen my roosters rounding up stubborn late-stayers and herding them into the coop at dusk).

Height of roost in run vs coop matters.

And sometimes teenagers just don't want to go to bed properly and have to be put in for a few days to a few weeks until they learn. :D

You're probably getting some natural light in there due to the larger side vents, but trying some artificial lighting might make a difference since in the photos the area is shaded over (which is good to keep things cooler, but could be affecting how much light is getting in). In a hot climate I'd really consider opening up some/most of that coop wall that faces into the run, to maximize ventilation and make the coop space more inviting.

If you haven't tried manually putting them in each night, that's the next step to try, as it's not advisable to lock chickens into a coop to home them to it during hotter weather.

You're probably getting some natural light in there due to the larger side vents, but trying some artificial lighting might make a difference since in the photos the area is shaded over (which is good to keep things cooler, but could be affecting how much light is getting in). In a hot climate I'd really consider opening up some/most of that coop wall that faces into the run, to maximize ventilation and make the coop space more inviting.
I have the top half of the wall inside the coop that is open. Three of the walls in the coop have openings for ventilation. If I have to I can add a window to the fourth wall.

Back
Top Bottom