Hens not laying eggs and wanting feed suggestions

Here is what I have been feeding them. We give them about 4-6 cups of the pellets in the morning and do wait to give them this scratch stuff later in the day which they really do get excited about.

The other thing I have noticed is that they often go back into their coop and hang out. I don't know what they do but I was wondering if this means they aren't getting enough sunlight.

Everything might be ok with them. I just thought I would have eggs by now.

I am not attached to the layer feed. It is just what the individual was feeding them when I got them. He also had some other stuff that was more powdery than the scratch but it is gone now. I have a tractor supply and a orscheln's. Is the DuMor a good brand to get?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_7712.jpeg
    IMG_7712.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Here is what I have been feeding them. We give them about 4-6 cups of the pellets in the morning and do wait to give them this scratch stuff later in the day which they really do get excited about.

They should have feed available all day. Scratch is just a treat and while it's fine for a bit of entertainment, shouldn't be a significant part of their diet. Since they're not laying yet they would've benefited from the extra protein (for growth) in grower or starter feed, as well as less calcium as they can't use it yet.

They should have feed available all day. Scratch is just a treat and while it's fine for a bit of entertainment, shouldn't be a significant part of their diet. Since they're not laying yet they would've benefited from the extra protein (for growth) in grower or starter feed, as well as less calcium as they can't use it yet.
I have been keeping an eye on their bowl and it is never empty. They also have a bowl of grit and calcium.

Do you think I should go ahead and get them another bag of grower/starter feed?

I am inferring that you are thinking that if you fed them correctly, they would be laying. Not going to change anything.

If they are fed correctly (which they apparently are), they can still be not laying.

But if someone feeds chickens very much wrong, that could delay egglaying. Not the case here, but asking was a good idea.

Maybe if they were starving the chickens to death, and definitely a poor diet would/could effect the number of eggs through out their life time, but the onset of laying is more to do with age and genetics of the chickens.

I have known people to only feed scratch to their chickens and get eggs. Not the best diet, but she does get eggs.

You just cannot hurry up mother nature with diet, that was my only point. Her birds look shiny and healthy. I don't think it is a diet issue and even if it was a diet issue, correcting it will not effect the onset of egg laying.

Mrs K

The other thing I have noticed is that they often go back into their coop and hang out. I don't know what they do but I was wondering if this means they aren't getting enough sunlight.
Your chicken tractor looks very nice, but I think it is a bit on the small side and therefore lacks some branches or other stuff to roost on.

Do they have a dust bath?

Back
Top Bottom