1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens not laying need advice

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicksducks1, Mar 20, 2017.

1. chicksducks1

chicksducks1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2017
    I need some advice or ideas, my hens aren't laying or are barely laying. I am getting maybe 1 egg a day if I'm lucky, hens are about a year and a couple months old. At first, I thought it was because the hens found a spot to lay when they were out free ranging, so I have been keeping them in their coop/run to be able to retrain them about their nesting box and to keep a closer eye on them, that was probably about a week ago. I am not sure what's causing this since they don't seem to be molting. I give them access to food 24/7 along free choices of oyster shells. Sorry for such a long post I am just running out of ideas to get them to lay! Thanks!

2. silkie1472

silkie1472 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2016
    The first thing that I would do is check them for lice. Some free ranged birds will get these bugs and usually require permethrin dust to get rid of them. This works for mites too if it's the case. Also, you hens may be slowing down right now. Being that spring is approaching, or should I say spring has approached, some chickens will stop laying for a while. My silkies did this earlier (about 2 weeks ago). Once the weather stabilized and stress levels had went down, all four of them began laying again. **stress could be another factor. Though you may not be for certain what is the cause, there are things you would not believe that could stress a chicken out. This includes birds flying over (lots of blackbirds), hawks flying overhead, and even certain vehicles driving down the road. Once one gen becomes stressed, almost every he becomes stressed. So what I would do is leave them in their coop until they are used to it, unless they are begging to get out, then just give them what they want.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by