Hens not laying regularly

dracoe19

Songster
8 Years
May 31, 2011
Warrenton, Virgina
At the moment I have a breeding pen with 7 hens and one rooster. They have been in this area together for roughly 3 - 3.5 weeks. I have been getting 3 eggs a day, 4 if I'm lucky (of course since I am wanting to hatch eggs from them...). 3 of my hens are pushing 2.5 years so I ma a little more understanding of them but I know for a fact they are laying at least 4 a week each before they were in here because they were in a pen for 4 weeks just the 3 together. As for the other 4 I recently got them (about 2 months total now). For a month they were by themselves so I could make sure they were healthy. After they settled in they were each laying an egg a day. They have been with the other 3 hens and rooster for about a month now so I would have thought they would have settled into their new living area. There pen has lots of space, automatic waterer, a sheltered food dispenser, shade and a dry coop. They eat layer crumble, a little bit of scratch (not to much), and veggies/ grass every so often. No fruit as I know this stops/ messes with their laying cycle. There isn't much grass in their pen but it is growing back. They are all healthy and alert so that's why I'm here scratching my head as to why they aren't giving me more eggs! Any ideas???

Here are some pictures of their living arrangements.

I knew someone who thought this happened to her when it turned out one hen would walk 2 km to a spot where she laid her eggs just cause she thought it suited her better. maybe your hens are just laying them other places

Gorgeous birds, and a cute coop! Is it possible for them to get underneath and lay there?

I hope someone can answer this soon, because I'm wondering the same thing about my 2 year old BO's - I only get an egg every other day or so from them, which is weird, because they were laying an egg a day each steadily into the winter. Although I did find one under a pull-trailer in my yard yesterday, since they've been hanging out under there in the shade and I guess it was too far to go the 15 feet to the coop and lay an egg.
lol.png

Not to mention your chickens could be molting and the older ones could be getting to old for laying. most chickens only lay regularly for up to the first three years

Gorgeous birds, and a cute coop! Is it possible for them to get underneath and lay there?

I hope someone can answer this soon, because I'm wondering the same thing about my 2 year old BO's - I only get an egg every other day or so from them, which is weird, because they were laying an egg a day each steadily into the winter. Although I did find one under a pull-trailer in my yard yesterday, since they've been hanging out under there in the shade and I guess it was too far to go the 15 feet to the coop and lay an egg.
lol.png
haha

@folgerrd --- I have checked all over :/. None under the coop and no other places to hide.

@supernatural ---Thank you :). Hopefully I'll find what is going on soon.

@folgerrd --- I didn't think of molting.... 3 of them are molting at the moment so that would make sense for them. I know the older girls are laying. I had them with the rooster a few weeks ago and have 15 chicks in a brooder from them along with a few others on the way. They don't lay everyday but I know they still lay. The ones molting are the older girls so I am trying to think why the others are not laying... one is a trouble maker from what the lady said that I bought them from. She would go on her perch and lay her eggs off the ground.... weirdest thing. She hasn't done that here so not sure if she has changed or is going on "strike". Think I'm going to camp out and watch them tomorrow to see who is slacking...

It is possible if some are molting the others are trying to mimick what they see. One may also have a clogged vent

hmmm alrighty, I hadn't thought of that either. I'll check their vents I think they are clean but I'll check anyways. Thank you for your input it has helped a lot!

You're welcome! It may also be a large egg that is clogging their vents, I have heard of that happening. If so be sure not to crack the egg while removing it.

Would they be showing signs of distress? pale comb, panting, etc.? Is what you are refering to called egg binding or something somewhat similar? I'll feel their abdomens to see if their is anything in there. I'll be careful not to crack an egg if it is in there.

Back
Top Bottom