1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Hens not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lindalu, Dec 7, 2008.

1. lindalu

lindalu In the Brooder

Apr 13, 2008
    I live in Ohio and right now it is pretty cold, but our hens have not been laying for about a month. Would a light for warmth help?

2. shareneh

shareneh In the Brooder

Aug 2, 2008
    North Dakota
    If your hens haven't laid an egg or two in the past month then they must be laying an egg somewhere else.

I had a problem with mine after I had my sister feed them for just one day. They were only giving me three eggs a day for about four days. I finally had to clean the coop and found 24 eggs under a board in the corner.

I would consider looking around for some eggs because a month is a long time not to get any eggs at all.

3. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Crowing

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I also have hens that haven't layed in 2 or 3 months, some are molting but because shorter days.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm 10 Years

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    If they are moulting they may not be laying. If any are not moulting, I would definately be looking for a hidding place where they might be laying.
    I have a small red 11 watt sign light bulb in my coop that I never turn off, and depending on the weather, either a 15 watt incandesent light on a timer that goes on at 5 am and off at 8 am. On really cold nights below freezing, I do put in a red 250 watt heat lamp bulb in a brooder lamp and have a place to hang it above a section of their roosts. I leave the red lamp on from 5 pm to 8 am. My girls lay regular unless they are moulting.
    If any changes were made to their environment they may slow down or stop for awhile.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG]

Adding some light to the coop wouldnt hurt, chickens need 14 hours a day of light to lay. So adding a few hours in the morning and a few hours at night would be good (not 24/7 light), an easy way to do this is to get a light timer (walmart has them)

If light is the reason give them a week to 2 weeks with the light to start picking up again.

Also like someone else said look around/under for eggs that your not seeing !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: