Hens not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pastorbruce, Jun 9, 2009.

1. pastorbruce

pastorbruce Hatching

Jun 9, 2009
    North Carolina
    I have 4 Brown Leghorn hens They are about 21 weeks and I have not seen the first egg yet, We used to raise chickens but sold them when we moved to NC. 15 years later we decided to start again

2. sammy

sammy Songster

Jul 8, 2008
    i started with hens last year - 2 hens

one layed within 8 weeks the other took 6 months to lay-e1 was telling me to return her/send her for soup

of course i couldnt do that!

be patient they are young

3. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    They lay when they are good and ready! That has been my experience! Welcome to BYC, my father-in-law is a Pastor Bruce too!!

4. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Glad to have you here!
    24 weeks is about when could start to wonder. They are within the time frame, but just have to wait. Just start pulling out recipes for those yummy eggs!!
    ARe you feeding layer feed and oyster shells? Do they have nesting boxes? If they free range they may be putting eggs in secret spots. Might not hurt to go on a hunt, follow them and see where they are sitting, hanging out [​IMG]
    Good Luck
    Christina

5. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    I was having the same problem with my pullets. Well once my husband got rid of the seven foot long black snake we started getting 6 eggs a day from 6 hens!!!LOL That snake was fatttttt!!![​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  6. pastorbruce

pastorbruce Hatching

Jun 9, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the replys. I am feeding laying pellets and oyster shells. Look forward to reading more

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] They will lay when they are ready. A couple of my birds were nearly 30 weeeks when they layed their first egg. Usually it's between 20 and 24 weeks.

8. sammy

sammy Songster

Jul 8, 2008
    can you buy oyster shell at the same place you buy the feed? one of my hen's shells is getting thin-the eggs are bigger and the shell is thinner [​IMG]

9. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    My feed store didn't have it but Tractor Suppy does.
    I agree with the rest, they just aren't ready to lay yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: