hens not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by llxll00llxll, Jun 12, 2008.

1. llxll00llxll

llxll00llxll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2007
    ::So Cal::
    most of my hens stopped laying...could overbreeding them interupt laying? i pinned all my roosters up now:/
  2. heritagebirds

heritagebirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    I got some eggs from someone in NC, and he said that when it gets too hot, his hens won't lay...
  3. Sahara

Sahara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Keystone Heights, FL
    My hens have slowed down considerably also. I believe it is because of the heat. I think they will adjust in time.
  4. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    My girls slowed down considerably several weeks ago. THey went from 7 eggs a day to 2-3. I noticed feathers all around the coop and a few bare necks and butts. I guess they went thru a molt. About 2 weeks later they stared laying again for a few days. THen back down. The other hens stopped. Then the rest went thru a molt. They are back up to 7 a day now. The molt did it.

It has been 95+ degrees for the past 2 weeks. It has not slowed the laying. THey have been panting but I added some electrolites to the water and they seam to be fine.

5. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Hot weather chickens wont lay good and cows dont milk good. When it crosses over that 90* temperature nature kicks in and says slow down and cool off.
  6. llxll00llxll

llxll00llxll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2007
    ::So Cal::
    its sposed to be 106 here today :|.. im gettin like 6 eggs or 7 eggs a day now... lots of vitamins and electrolites

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by