1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cc0905, Nov 16, 2012.

1. cc0905

cc0905 Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    South Berwick, Maine
    I recently aquired 4 "laying hens", (2 barred rock, 2 RIR's) I've had them for a week now, they came from, what I would consider an overcrowded enviroment. They were timid the first 3 days or so and would not leave the coop, its now been a week and nothing, they are fairly large birds, I do believe they are mature and should be laying, any suggestions?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Any sort of change, even good change, causes stress for chickens. After a move it is normal for them to take some time off from laying. Don't worry. Give them some time.

Also, chickens need a certain number of hours of light to lay. Most hens will take the winter off and not lay again until spring unless they are given some supplemental light on a timer to simulate a longer day.

I just let mine have the winter's rest, but I don't rely on eggs for income or anything either...

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by