hens not responding to tylan-200 injections - help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by technodoll, Apr 25, 2011.

1. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Do you have any other recommendations for meds in this case?

Tylan-50 soluble didn't work, Tylan-200 injections didn't work - hens still not eating, not drinking, gurgly lungs with respiratory difficulties, sneezing, coughing - no bubbles in eyes, no runny noses, no fever that I can see - they just stand there hunched over, trying not to drown in their lungs.

would penicillin help? any other meds you've tried that might work?

need something injectible - at this point if i don't try something else they will die, I've already lost 9 of my sweeties...

THANK YOU!!

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Antibiotics won't help if what they have is viral. Have you had any tested to see what you're dealing with?

3. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Quote:the only way to test is to bring a "fresh body" to the vet hospital an hour away, the necropsy is $250 so it's just not an option at this point...

i think it must be viral since it's hopping from hen to hen like crazy - is there nothing at all that will help these poor girls? nothing i can do except wait for them to die?

my flock is being decimated [​IMG]

4. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    Having one of them tested is a good idea. You could also try giving a shot of penicillin. They might have a lower respiratory infection. Of course, I'm not a vet so I would proceed with caution and do your research.

Here is a site that might help: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Good Luck and don't be afraid to contact a professional if necessary.

5. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Sounds like you have a respiratory problem which is usually a virus and will not respond to antibiotics do you have a state vet school i know some people use them to get a necropsy done. Did you bring any new birds in? Do you know what might have caused this. I hope you get some answers

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    oxine mister??? like a vaporizer in a kids room when they sick---don't know if that will help right now-she sounds really ill [​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Yes, oxine might work even if it's viral... which it sounds like to me since the tylans arnt working. Dosage is as follows; mix 6.5 ounces to a gallon of water and using a fine mister bottle, spray it over the top of the birds. Do not use the citric acid activator. Mist the birds 3 times a day for 10 days.
    Revival Animal Health has Oxine(AH) online for $24.99 per gallon.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by