Hens not using nest box

WendyinKY

In the Brooder
May 10, 2020
I bought the medium Best Nest Box, which is supposed to be sufficient for up to 20 hens. I have 12, so that is the size I bought. It is a "community" nest box - supposedly to accommodate more than 1 hen laying at a time. The box looks small to me, and I have never seen more than 1 hen in it at a time. I have some big girls (buff orp.) and not sure 2 would even FIT in the box! LOL Hens have only been laying about 6 weeks, but at least 2 birds are laying on the coop floor. I have 2 fake eggs in it and tied up the curtain until they got used to the box, and have now lowered the curtain & it's still being used. EXCEPT for the 2 laying on the floor. I don't know how to figure out which 2 are laying on the floor... How can I encourage using the nest box? And do you think the medium box is really big enough for 12 hens? I don't mind buying a second one, as I *LOVE* the rollout design. But eggs on the floor get broken & eaten and I don't want *THAT* to get started!!

I bought the medium Best Nest Box, which is supposed to be sufficient for up to 20 hens. I have 12, so that is the size I bought. It is a "community" nest box - supposedly to accommodate more than 1 hen laying at a time. The box looks small to me, and I have never seen more than 1 hen in it at a time. I have some big girls (buff orp.) and not sure 2 would even FIT in the box! LOL Hens have only been laying about 6 weeks, but at least 2 birds are laying on the coop floor. I have 2 fake eggs in it and tied up the curtain until they got used to the box, and have now lowered the curtain & it's still being used. EXCEPT for the 2 laying on the floor. I don't know how to figure out which 2 are laying on the floor... How can I encourage using the nest box? And do you think the medium box is really big enough for 12 hens? I don't mind buying a second one, as I *LOVE* the rollout design. But eggs on the floor get broken & eaten and I don't want *THAT* to get started!!
Can we see some pictures do you have any bedding in it also?

Can we see some pictures do you have any bedding in it also?
I have the rubber grass-like mats in the box that the Best Nest Box recommends. Bedding would stop the eggs from rolling down the roll-out tray. I'll have to get out & get photos - the box is about 20" off the ground and they hop right up to the perch.

I have the rubber grass-like mats in the box that the Best Nest Box recommends. Bedding would stop the eggs from rolling down the roll-out tray. I'll have to get out & get photos - the box is about 20" off the ground and they hop right up to the perch.
If they are used to laying on bedding they might not be willing to transition to the mats that easily.

Back
Top Bottom